Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey Michael

Nice axe head.

Use your compass to check if it is magnetic. An old trick of burying treasure is to magnetize an axe head and bury it in a position in the ground where the north pointer of a compass (when held close) will point to the next location (such as another axe head or rifle barrel).

A buried axe head is not visible by eye but could be located easily using a compass if the general area was known. And now even more easily using a metal detector.

KGC used this technique in the South and Southwest to permit the later relocation of buried caches of gold and other goodies.

HH

Sanat

OP
OP
B

Brush Creek

The pasture I found this in has been plowed a 1000 times.
But I will remember what you said the next time I find a axe head in the woods.
When I lived in Ga. a old plantation house was tore down near us years ago. but I remember them finding a big arrow head under the door stup.
pointing to the back yard. Makes you think dont it.

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Brush Creek said:
The pasture I found this in has been plowed a 1000 times.
But I will remember what you said the next time I find a axe head in the woods.
When I lived in Ga. a old plantation house was tore down near us years ago. but I remember them finding a big arrow head under the door stup.
pointing to the back yard. Makes you think dont it.

I agree, as time passes most of the markers are falling by the way side. Old trees are dying from disease or old age causing the blazings and the marks to go un-noticed and undetected, The weather and acid rain is obliterating the markings on the rocks making it harder and harder to determine...so thank goodness for metal detecting equipment.

Most of the old timers who watch over these caches have now passed over without anyone being appointed to take their places. One must be careful though for there are those areas that are still being watched by the descendants of the original "watchers".

What is interesting is in some caches the coins date into the 1900's indicating more recent activity than what one would normally associate with the KGC (Knights of the Golden Circle) and the civil war era.

Also occasionally the axe heads have notches on them to indicate a relative distance to the next marker or the bite of the blade itself indicating the direction to the next marker.

Anyway searching and the finding of these types of caches is a fun and exciting endeavor.

The arrowhead on the door stup of the mansion that you spoke of may be one of these very marks. Now that gets the blood to pumping like nothing else can. If you still have access to that place then i do hope you find the cache if indeed it was pointing to one.

The trouble is that it is best to remain silent if you do find such a gift in an iron pot or mason jar... even though we do want to talk about it to others. Caught betwixt, i guess.

HH

Sanat

SamN

Jan 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
DFX
Is there any way to date it? I recently found the same in the woods where Im finding lots of 3 ringers. Very rusty and heavy for its size

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
It never ceases to amaze me. You people on this website no everything about treasure. A magnatized ax head? I would have never thought of it.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
nice find. I love all the info & really appreciate y'all sharing it.

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
SamN said:
Is there any way to date it? I recently found the same in the woods where Im finding lots of 3 ringers. Very rusty and heavy for its size

Can you supply a picture of your axe? Perhaps someone will know more about the actual age with a pix. Finding 3 ringers is a form of dating in itself. Look for trees with carving or rocks in abnormal places or engraving on rocks as well. these are often found in the same vicinities as axe heads and rifle barrels if a cache is nearby.

HH

Sanat

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Sanat...........Now I read this!!!! :'( I found an Axe head in Mississippi where a house used to be. I still have it, but I couldnt possibly tell now what way it was facing. Tells me I should go back and REALLY hunt the entire area well!! Thanks for the info!!! Shane Oh heres a picture of mine.

Attachments

• ax 001 (Medium).jpg
    ax 001 (Medium).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 219
  • ax 002 (Medium).jpg
    ax 002 (Medium).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 241

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
shanegalang said:
Sanat...........Now I read this!!!! :'( I found an Axe head in Mississippi where a house used to be. I still have it, but I couldnt possibly tell now what way it was facing. Tells me I should go back and REALLY hunt the entire area well!! Thanks for the info!!! Shane Oh heres a picture of mine.

I feel that is a good choice too. Nothing ventured... nothing gained. Thanks for sharing your axe head with us.

HH

Sanat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions