Axe?

katieadkins

Oct 5, 2012
image-2940059230.jpg

I found tons of huge 'river' rocks but there's no river. It's on my moms land,I know there's a creek not far but just not close enough to have these big stones. Any way, would love input on the pix and what you think. Thanks!

image-1928877851.jpg

image-3671960682.jpg

Katie 'plays with dirt' Adkins

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to remember, water washed over a lot of ground and washed things over a far beyond their original location- as did ice from last ice age. Don't be fooled by those aquatumbled imposters! Keep looking! Keep in mind- where there is or was a lot of water flow- so there are ging to be those goefacts- but where they were making tools, there are inevitably going to be broken rocks too. Either whacked to attain a shard for a tip or a lot of flakes- a bunch of rocks with one side obviously pounded/worked/used. If all you see is nothing but smooth 'river' cobble- then you're just choosing rocks because of their odd shapes, and not looking deeper. Case in point: I tried (foolishly, on the hottest day of summer) to check out an area below a dam where multiple streams and riveletts ran (as the dam gates would be open- or overflow flooded the land below the dam). Well, duh... that's a lot of force pushing all that material into 'sand and gravel bars' down there- and it's all rouned and smooth. I could fool myself into thinking there were just tons of hammerstones and pestles and axes everywhere. But I would be wrong. And after spending a ridiculous 20 minutes poking around, I decided thyat I either had to go WELL below where I was- to places disturbed, but not pounded by water. To places where dam overflow- or whatever- forced a certain rearranging of the land to such a degree. And I also looked up above the dam... an easier trek for sure. Low and behold. Better- not great, but better success. I did find flakes and broken rocks and fewer 'river cobble'. Look for things that are not the same, are not similar to what you commonly see on your site(s). You'll have better luck, I think.
Happy Hunting.
Yak

OP
OP
katieadkins

katieadkins

Oct 5, 2012
yakker said:
Try to remember, water washed over a lot of ground and washed things over a far beyond their original location- as did ice from last ice age. Don't be fooled by those aquatumbled imposters! Keep looking! Keep in mind- where there is or was a lot of water flow- so there are ging to be those goefacts- but where they were making tools, there are inevitably going to be broken rocks too. Either whacked to attain a shard for a tip or a lot of flakes- a bunch of rocks with one side obviously pounded/worked/used. If all you see is nothing but smooth 'river' cobble- then you're just choosing rocks because of their odd shapes, and not looking deeper. Case in point: I tried (foolishly, on the hottest day of summer) to check out an area below a dam where multiple streams and riveletts ran (as the dam gates would be open- or overflow flooded the land below the dam). Well, duh... that's a lot of force pushing all that material into 'sand and gravel bars' down there- and it's all rouned and smooth. I could fool myself into thinking there were just tons of hammerstones and pestles and axes everywhere. But I would be wrong. And after spending a ridiculous 20 minutes poking around, I decided thyat I either had to go WELL below where I was- to places disturbed, but not pounded by water. To places where dam overflow- or whatever- forced a certain rearranging of the land to such a degree. And I also looked up above the dam... an easier trek for sure. Low and behold. Better- not great, but better success. I did find flakes and broken rocks and fewer 'river cobble'. Look for things that are not the same, are not similar to what you commonly see on your site(s). You'll have better luck, I think.
Happy Hunting.
Yak

True! Even though I may get hyper focused on imagining its more than what it actually is, but I'm learning and sorta figuring the same thing. You know, if I bring home all these rocks that look identical it's more than likely not that special. Lol
BUT I do, basically until Im better at I.D.ing things

Katie 'plays with dirt' Adkins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread