Aztec Gold Site, What Equipment Should I Use?

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I am new to this website and to treasure hunting so any input would be appreciated. I know of a place (somewhere in North America :) that is a possible "Hot Spot" for buried Aztec/Indian Gold. Many local legends and people speak of it so we shall see.

Question: What equipment would any of you recommend since according to these tales the possible booty could be buried up to 8' ft. or greater below the surface. Also, the terrain is standard soil and dirt mixed with rock and much foliage (greenery; trees, shrubs etc.)

My question stems from #1) the research I have done here on this site and others that not many people give "LRLs" much of if any endorsement on their usefulness and ability to deliver on what is claimed. #2) As far as I know, their are no standard detectors that have such depth range beyond 6' ft. deep.

Any suggestions or help here? Also, the budget factors out anything that a "professional treasure hunting team" would be able to afford.

Thanks in advance

Royal1

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Royal. Join me in the patio for coffee while we discuss your problem. Basically it depends almost entirely upon the size and metallic composition of your target. As a thumb rule go for a twin box locator 'WITH ground cancelling capabilities'. On a refrigerator or small car sized object, they can go as deep as 30ft. (10 meters) in good conditions. Use your "search" section in your computer to look for the present ones and data on them.

"I.E what twin box detectors with ground canceling ability are available."

Luck

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, I will research the suggested equipment. I am "green" to detectors and treasure hunting and only know what I have been researching for about two weeks. So if you would be kind enough to allow me a follow-up question. A twin box detector is more in line with a hand-held detector as opposed to an LRL correct?

I have yet to see anyone on these forums give their positive full endorsement of an LRL which some claim can find targets up to 50 ft.-200 ft. (164m-656m)

P.S. I like my coffee like I like my women, strong but sweet! ;)

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the Whites TM 808 Is that one considered a Twin Box Locator and is this a good one for detecting for "Depth"? and or do any of you recommend the Whites Sierra Madre Automatic for Deep treasure hunting? Thanks for all your thoughts and considerations in advance.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I live in a place where legends insist the treasure was buried. And, there was a historical connection to the Moctezuma's, there are still Moctezuma's living here. So, it is possible.

I Plan to eventually get a dual box and screen the most obvious places. The legends say the Aztecs took a week to bury the gold, if so it might be enough to hit with a dual box. I am not holding my breath on finding lots of gold here, but it is interesting enough to buy a dual box and look around.

Family history involving the old Moctezuma house, which is adjacent to my property, says around 1911 a skeleton was found in the floor of the ruins, and there was a gold object around the neck, big enough the local church used it to buy a new steeple bell. My wife's grandfather told her that personally; he was the finder. That does not mean there is more, of course.

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting. The place I am referring to has nothing to do with this particular legend but I am hoping that it will yield some very interesting finds and a large stash of gold/silver. I'm assuming that everyone on this site wouldn't mind finding this kind of treasure no matter where in the world it is. :)

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Hi Royal,
I have been on a few hunts in Mexico (and elsewhere) and it seems like locals will tell you there is treasure on their property. If you
find something, they want a cut, if not, no sweat off their brow or no $ spent by them. A great deal for them, but expenses with
no loot gets kind of old. Make sure they do the digging, so you can see how much they believe their own stories.
That said, I have no idea if that is your situation or not, just passing along some history.
Good luck

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Finder,
Thanks for the tip. This is some great advice and a good way to weed-out the Bullsh**ers. I hadn't thought of it but yes a very good strategy. Mexico can be tricky I would imagine in more than one way. Assuming one were to find something down there, how would you go about bringing it back to the U.S. without getting hammered at the border with customs (tax or otherwise). Is it even allowed to bring across let's say large amounts of gold or silver bars or coins? Is there a value limit on such things, or what would you do if you had "stuck the mother-load" in Mexico or some other place outside the U.S.? Thanks for the insight.

Royal1

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Royal,
I am not sure of all the answers that are above board and safe. For instance you could sell it there and bring a check back or open
an account there or live there. All very tricky, can you trust anyone in any country if they see a large dollar or peso sign in front of
them? You can't carry guns or knives there, but the drug dealers do all the time and the Army and police will watch you like a hawk
if they think you are importing any drugs. All very tricky and I stay away from there these days. No safe answers, and my life is my
greatest treasure. They have Napoleonic law and you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent, and they don't feed you in jail,
you have to have someone bring you food.
Sometimes things are fine, sometimes not. Watch yourself
Rich

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know it is tricky and dangerous to say the least down in old Mexico however, my advantage is I have some gringo family that lives down there and my folks have a pad down there which will serve as home-base for me. I'm just wondering if I could get a better price on any old gold/silver coins and such on this side of the border because as you mentioned I don't know if I trust anyone down in Mexico. Lots of shady and unethical people down there. I just wish I knew what U.S. customs rules and regs are about such valuables. I guess I could stop over to their offices prior to heading south. Thanks and God-speed on your hunts as well.

Royal1

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Royal,
Family will be a big help. I have been in 19 countries, nothing like having a base of operations. For the customs, go to the library and look
them up on the library computer. If you talk to them in person you may get opinions, you need written laws that you can print out and
know the truth, not some official's poliicy. There is policy and there is law, law supercedes policy.
Good luck and only trust your family and then just barely,
Rich

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Rich,
There are always things to consider and to be on the lookout for. I guess if it were easy to do these things everyone and his brother would be out there looking for this stuff and bringing back chest-loads of it back across the border. I'm just trying to think ahead here for the chance that something significant is found and I am faced with the decision of storing, transporting and eventually selling the found treasures. First however, I need to get myself down there and search and find this stuff.

Royal1

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Strange how you can find it and then re bury it for safety. Only you will know where it is then. Keep it as a bank, don't take all
at once.
Rich

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Countless people are risking their lives getting out of that pesthole and you want to risk yours getting in? There is no law in Mexico.

lost ruins

Feb 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Rich,
There are always things to consider and to be on the lookout for. I guess if it were easy to do these things everyone and his brother would be out there looking for this stuff and bringing back chest-loads of it back across the border. I'm just trying to think ahead here for the chance that something significant is found and I am faced with the decision of storing, transporting and eventually selling the found treasures. First however, I need to get myself down there and search and find this stuff.

Royal1

Dear royal1 im looking for a team for a big find if interest ed let me no

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell lastleg has never been in Mexico.

I've got to agree with that, i was out there twice last year for three weeks each time, i loved every minute, ( Puebla Pu ),
almost cried when i had to get on that plane to come home,

my house is now up for sale and i'm moving there permenantly as soon as its sold,
i have the use of a flat in the old part of the city and my pension will give me a very comforatable living there,
piegrande will know the area :>) its on 14 oriente just round the corner from the Cinco de Mayo,
i can't wait to get back out there, the weather is like eternal summer, and the people were great,

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a place where legends insist the treasure was buried. And, there was a historical connection to the Moctezuma's, there are still Moctezuma's living here. So, it is possible.

Family history involving the old Moctezuma house, which is adjacent to my property, says around 1911 a skeleton was found in the floor of the ruins, and there was a gold object around the neck, big enough the local church used it to buy a new steeple bell. My wife's grandfather told her that personally; he was the finder. That does not mean there is more, of course.

When you get that 2 box, I would check the location where your grandfather found the skeleton. It's not unusual for a treasure to be buried beneath a body. If any one sees a depression, or disturbed soil, digs down and finds a body, they stop digging believing it is just a grave. Good Luck.

OP
OP
royal1

royal1

Nov 21, 2012
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, I need to bring some perspective to this current topic. I have lived close to the U.S./Mexico border (California) my whole life however, I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and have family that is from there and currently live there. Mexico as anywhere has its good points and its bad points, both positive and negatives.

For me its about a 40% good and 60% ****ed up place. Generally speaking, what you encounter along the boarder say, 200-300 miles from the U.S. most people are complete douche-bags. A lot of hang-ups, envy, bad-apples and just plain ******s. I'm not saying ALL but I would say a great majority. However, once you get further south into Mexico, the people become less this way especially in the smaller towns, the cities is really a crap-shoot in terms of the attitudes and the type of people you will encounter. As far as the country yes it is naturally beautiful and yes there are some great places to see and live in but as far as the social and political aspect its really a bit dicey as to what you may or may not encounter.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Royal, relax soon the peeps of the US will be trying to emigrate down there as conditions in the Us deteriorate.. Pie Grande, and Furness, know Mexico obviously. As for Napleonic Law 'guilty until proven inocent, just what do you think that US law is today for all practical purposes?? Want some horror examples?

Mexico is a modern, agressive, rapidly advancing, country with an exploading middle class, In Sonora, for example, except for the Spanish wording, one would thnk that they are in Calif.

Don't judge Mexico by the Border towns- on either side - even the Mexicans are horrified by them, some actually think that they are part of the US. But what can one expect if an area is over whelmed by potential job seekers waiting to cross the border and needing to eat in the meanwhile?

Remember Mexico's crime problem is a direct result of the Yank's appetite for illegal drugs, so they are directly supporting it. No drug consumption, no crime.

As for disposing of any values that you might find, do it in Mexico, Uncle Sam taxes you coming and going for importation of precious metals and you would need export as well as import permits, and proof of where you obtained it.

Course where I live, it is old, but relaxing. Extremely clean streets, no crime effectively etc. nice place to spend any loot..

ALAMOS SONORA MÉXICO - V! video

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread