B of A Teller shut me down!

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank, Bank of America, to order a box of cents and was denied. This is the same bank where I picked up two boxes last week. The second of those made the head teller mad, but she gave me them anyway. Last week she said that they were for their commercial customers and I asked if I should order them ahead of time. She said yes. This week she said no because the commercial customers are charged. I asked what the fee was, and she couldn't tell me. THIS IS BULL! I will try to go to a different branch to get a box. If that doesn't work I will open an account with a different bank and use B of A as a dump bank.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Is complete bs. Heads up though boa as a dump isn't the best. They will take rolled but it quickly will end. Almost all of my local branches wanted me to bag and ship the coin. Then wait more then a week for the credit. Told them to take a walk

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not swearing on the site per rules would be a start...

Most people on here hate BoA for similar reasons. It usually becomes a dump bank.

I also recommend not showing up multiple times/buying multiple boxes a week until you build a relationship with the bank.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

Most people on here hate BoA for similar reasons. It usually becomes a dump bank.

I also recommend not showing up multiple times/buying multiple boxes a week until you build a relationship with the bank.

Maybe there was a male cow who took a dump

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if you have one available, but when I do CRH sometimes in the winter I use a couple of local banks that aren't a nationwide bank/chain. These banks are owned locally or by interests inside the state and typically have local people on their board of directors. Establish a friendly relationship with the tellers and go from there.....

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I find this funny. I have used B of A for years 4 box's a week per at 3 branches. They apologize to me if something happens or they for get to order 1 week. We have a good repore, I know them by first name. I'm always nice and if they don't have my box's I let them know it's ok. This is a business relationship and needs to be developed. It takes time, make them want to help you.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B o A sucks.
Two or 3 years ago I went to there and made an agreement, I would open an account and they would order 2 boxes of halves a week for me. Well they have a minimum of $300 in your account to not be charged for having an account ??? So I put in around $400 to park there. Well week one, they got my 2 boxes in and when I picked them up, they shut me down right then and there and said they would not order any more???? They would not give me a reason.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Correct, please post by TN rules...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you have one available, but when I do CRH sometimes in the winter I use a couple of local banks that aren't a nationwide bank/chain. These banks are owned locally or by interests inside the state and typically have local people on their board of directors. Establish a friendly relationship with the tellers and go from there.....

Same here. One of the best banks I work with. Apologize when they mess up and let me know if they have something special come in.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I NEVER had an issue with BOA as my pick up bank, I was ordering 10 boxes of halves a week for almost a year, maybe the vault teller didn't mind due to the chocolates and what not. I have never used them as a dump bank so I can't speak about that. AND may I add that I have NEVER heard of anyone having trouble picking up cents of all things.

I would definitely give another branch a try, maybe you caught the head teller on a bad day.

Hope my rambling helps.

I also want to add, that for the year I was picking up 10 boxes of halves a week, I did not have an account at BOA.

Good luck and HH

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boa is my dump bank however i use bags and what i do is dump 2 k which is 2 bags and then use another 2 k to get more halves from my order bank. This way while i wait for the credit im picking up 4 more boxes and i just keep the cycle going. They never give me problems but like any bank if the teller is rude your pretty much SOL. I find the rudest tellers in my area is people united , there just mean plain and simple.

OP
OP

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was so heated that I didn't even realize that I wrote that! :censored: Sorry about that, I will watch my tongue from now on.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B of A in my area will not give me even loose halves from the teller trays because I do not have an account there.
DW

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the bank, Bank of America, to order a box of cents and was denied. This is the same bank where I picked up two boxes last week. The second of those made the head teller mad, but she gave me them anyway. Last week she said that they were for their commercial customers and I asked if I should order them ahead of time. She said yes. This week she said no because the commercial customers are charged. I asked what the fee was, and she couldn't tell me. THIS IS BULL! I will try to go to a different branch to get a box. If that doesn't work I will open an account with a different bank and use B of A as a dump bank.

What do you think I should do?

As you can see from the replies, different branches of the same bank can yield wildly different results when it comes to CRH activities. Your teller was indeed correct that they charge their business customers per roll for rolled coin. They pay to have it rolled and resell it. Why should they give you something for free that they sell to other customers? It makes no business sense whatsoever for them to do this and they certainly are not required to give you anything.

Now with that said, there are many banks/branches out there that will have much more accommodating policies and/or employees. When you run into an uncooperative one, just move on down the road to the next. Trying to get "revenge" by turning them into an excessive dump bank or anything else is often counterproductive and a complete waste of time.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the other branches and you'll probably get completely different results. Don't complain to them about the original branch. Start with relatively small orders and develop the relationship. Don't go in more than once per week. They don't have to order boxes for you. It's service that can end at any time.

Another thing...wait 6 months and go back to the original BOA branch. There's a decent chance the head teller will be gone. It's a high turnover job.

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay $5/box for cents at my branch. I use Coinstar to dump and get gift cards from the machine since they are free. I don't expect the volume I order to be given to me free. The boxes of coins have to be rolled, boxed and delivered. The bank is charged by Brinks to deliver and that cost is passed down. Fuel, packaging, etc. it is a hobby first and foremost...hopefully, there's profit to the hunter.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay $5/box for cents at my branch. I use Coinstar to dump and get gift cards from the machine since they are free. I don't expect the volume I order to be given to me free. The boxes of coins have to be rolled, boxed and delivered. The bank is charged by Brinks to deliver and that cost is passed down. Fuel, packaging, etc. it is a hobby first and foremost...hopefully, there's profit to the hunter.

You need to find a better system!

Not once have I ever paid for coins or to dump.

There are better alternatives I am sure!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! I've never paid to dump. Heck, I've even had my pickup banks tell me just to bring them back! I'll never do that of course. It just goes to show what a great relationship with tellers can do. Get to know them and you'll be amazed what can happen.
HH
enamel7

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL @ paying $30 for $25 worth of cents.

I would only pay $5 a box for something if I could order halves in bulk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread