Back at schoolyard where the MORGAN popped up....struck SILVER again!!

58chevy348

Greenie
Sep 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well, we finally got a long deserved cool-down here in Western NC due to a nice cold front moving through. We've had rain the past two days, and I decided to hit the same worked out schoolyard where I found the 1882 Morgan silver dollar a couple of weeks ago. Again, it seemed I was finding deeper targets due to the moisture in the soil. I dug two wheat cents at about 7 to 8 inches. One was a 1929 and the other a 1956. The two nickels were a pocket spill, as they were found stacked on one another--both from the 1950s). So, I knew there were still older coins to be found. This is a very trashy area, but not the usual trash we are used to (pulltabs, foil, etc.)......this is OLD trash, most of it buried 5+ inches in the ground. I got another screaming 92 VDI hit, and unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the old metal surrounds for a light bulb socket (felt like it was made of lead). I've always used best data working from the coins / jewelry program with other tweaks such as AC at 70, DC at 36, Preamp at 3, and varioius sweep / recovery speeds depending on how trashy. I have read that it helps to use Correlate in trashy areas to further the seperation of good signals from trash signals. I decided to give it a try for the first time. After about 10 minutes, I got a VDI of about 64 to 66 which was somewhat consistent (but did flutter a bit). I dug the signal and out popped this 1941 Washington quarter! This is not a groundbreaking find in the scheme of things I've read here, but it is only my second silver quarter! I don't know if the Correlate function enabled me to find this target, or if it was just a coincidence that I decided to flip over to Correlate just before hitting this target. The funny thing about that VDI of 64.....after I dug the quarter, I ran the detector over it and got the usual 83 to 84 VDI reading. However, I noticed the ground I was digging in was obvioiusly an area where someone had burned their trash, or some sort of fire occurred. Has anyone noticed the effect an older fire pit has on VDI readings? Does this affect the ground mineralization? I placed the quarter back in the hole (flat), and it went back to the 64 to 65 VDI range again! The hole was only about 5 inches deep. At any rate, I was very happy to leave with my second silver quarter and two wheaties..........located only about 20 feet away from that wonderful Morgan find! (also pulled a little over a dollar in clad, but many of the pennies were from the early 60s...just missing the wheat era). By the way.....yes, that is a scratch caused by yours truly on the front of the Washington.....gotta' be more careful I guess. Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

• ellen1.jpg
    ellen1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 610
  • ellen2.jpg
    ellen2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 615
  • ellen3.jpg
    ellen3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0
OP
OP
58chevy348

58chevy348

Greenie
Sep 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
This schoolyard has been worked hundreds of times over the years (a friend of mine lives on the border of the property and said he's seen folks out detecting from time to time for the past 20 years or more). This particular area appears to be where a house stood many years ago. I've found alot of very old junk, and section of this area must have been where the owners burned their trash. The "old house" area covers approximately 20 by 30 yards. This is my theory: All of the other guys who came before me over the years may have stumbled on this site, but they quickly began digging tons of trash with the early technology of their detectors, and immediately moved on to an easier area to search. It's still tough, even with the DFX, and I have dug my share of trash, too. I guess I'm just too stubborn to be defeated by the trash, and plan to cover this area several more times before moving on. I've dug about 7 spoons (stainless), a couple of locks, old bolts, a few small car parts, pieces of pie tins, and other misc. household junk, but it's worth it if I can keep the silver coming. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread