Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a whole lot today BUT, this is a new place and it dates back to the 1850's. So, I'm hoping to be able to share some nice finds. It is a very large place and the potential is great as it's VERY private and apparently the soil has never seen the underside of a coil! Cross your fingers.

IMGA2130.JPG

Only obtained permission today and had about an hour or 2 to check it out before dark. I just did a wandering about the area. Near the mansion, (yep! he said mansion! :) ), the front yard area, the rear yard area, near the stables, the worker's quarters, etc. Just a slide through looking for obvious hits and checking out the different soil make ups. Didn't turn up much but what I did find does look promising.

IMGA2131.JPG

First coins I dug, Play money. LOL

IMGA2132.JPG

Dunno, maybe part of a watch?

IMGA2133.JPG

A couple bullets and a fishing weight.

IMGA2134.JPG
I think it should be against the law for bottle caps to have a reeded edge! Might cause some unsuspecting soul a heart attack! :)
IMGA2135.JPG

IMGA2137.JPG IMGA2136.JPG
A tombac button? Seems in rather good condition, might mean the ground is kind.

IMGA2140.JPG IMGA2139.JPG IMGA2138.JPG
Whatcha think? Part of a cap gun or maybe the culprit that fired one of these bullets? LOL
Looks like it was plated at one time.

Funny, every time I see a bad guy throw his empty gun back over his shoulder at the good guy, a beeping sound starts in my head. Maybe I finally found one? ;)

Oh, and there was 2 wheaties up there too, someplace.

In any case, the place looks to be very fun for quite some time.

Wish me luck!

Thanks for peeking.

HH!

(Ya know something? I am STILL smiling for some reason. :) )

Last edited:
Upvote 1

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the Lone Ranger fired a few shots int he air and one came down,hit him,he dropped his gun, it broke and you found the handle! LOL

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do find some good stuff hopefully that spot will produce something good for you

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a pot metal cap gun. Is it magnetic? Seems to me like you have a chance to make a really good find.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pot metal cap gun. Is it magnetic? Seems to me like you have a chance to make a really good find.

Well, the screws in the handle are magnetic. LOL :laughing9: I figured cap gun when I saw the grip. It looks like a part of a horses head. I used to have a cap gun with similar. (MAN!!! That reminds me! I sooooo wish I still had my original "Rifleman's Rifle". :( )

Thanks!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine said that the larger bullet wasn't old enough to be from the civil war. Am I laboring under another misassumption? :)

I thought it took lead bullets a little more than 100 years in the ground, to start turning white. Anyone recognize the bullet? Could it be from then?

Thanks!

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA2138.JPG
    IMGA2138.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHADIFIND said:
I can't control what I find but I do seem to walk over a lot of neat things.

And he's humble too! :laughing7:

WHADIFIND said:
I used to have a cap gun with similar. (MAN!!! That reminds me! I sooooo wish I still had my original "Rifleman's Rifle". :( )

Funny, I'm a big Rifleman fan too, though I suspect I'm a few years younger than you. Was that the Hubley Rifeman Flip Special cap gun? There are several on eBay, but they go for a premium. Man, I would have loved to have had that as a kid! I do have a replica prop that was made by a prop maker in the 60's of that gun, but I would love to find one of the originals from the show. I have a number of cool items from Chuck Connor's estate. He was great!

Good luck at the new site!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True that regarding the reeded bottle caps...shame shame. If they are going to make them like that, they may as well make them from silver too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread