Back from N. Georgia semi excellent adventure

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
First afternoon spent in Dahlongea visiting the ho-hum gold museum and local tourist shops. Next morning went to Auraria and noticed heavy equipment had excavated 1/2 of a large hill on the trip out there. On the way back I stopped as any treasure hunter knows to check out any place dozers have done the heavy work for us. Walked around 15 minutes and found a fist sized piece of quartz with gold! Tried to find the vein but the dozer could have taken it from anywhere on that hill. Couldn't find but this one piece.
Next went to Yahoola creek but didn't find anything. Dang water is cold. Panning is hard work folks.
Next day went to Cleveland and met with realtor. She showed me several parcels I wasn't interested in. The land was too steep and so was the price at 30,000 to 45,000 an acre. The land that I had 'picked' would have required repelling down to.
Back to panning. Went to Panter creek, too many people. Went to Duke's creek but could find a spot that wasn't fenced off and private property.
Went to high shoals falls..Don't go there without good brake's on your vehical.
Went to Helton creek, promising but didn't come up with gold.
Ended up at Dodd creek, a nice place with spots of virgin creek and nice little waterfalls. How did the homemade dredge work? Not well. Just sucked rocks until it clogged. Pan and short shovel worked best. Other than the initial gold found at the excavation site on hiway 9 towards Auraria I ended up with just a bunch of flakes (Dodd creek) and pretty rocks. No nuggets. Never found black sand. I wasn't about to use tweezers to pick flakes so they were left behind.
I didn't buy any land "this trip" but it is pretty land and very nice people in White and Lumkin counties. It was 6 hour trip from here.
To folks who are serious "panners" I salute you. It's not easy. Not when "maybe in the next scoop" becomes the 100th.

Upvote 0

stud564

Jun 7, 2006
algona, iowa
you should have bought it. lol. jk. and people around here are going nuts with land goin for 2000 dollars an acre. If it ever got to 45, whoa.

OP
OP
Mikemonster

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Cleveland is a nice town just 9 miles from Helen and just east of Dahlonega. 90 minutes N of Atlanta. Still the price of land there is nutz. Had a guy offer me 8 acres on a creek for 30k an acre. What a deal! But a decent motel is just 50 bucks a night and a good meal for 6.95

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyn, Is that Monroe, GA? My youngest and her Hubby live in Loganville. I'm in Commerce, GA.
GA_Boy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread