Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I discovered the site of a house that (based on the relics I found) existed in the 18th and early 19th centuries. The owner obviously was a man of means, as I found three silver cufflinks, an elaborate shoe buckle and coins from the 1700s. I was reasonably sure that I had found a house that is marked on the Mills' Atlas of 1825 belonging to W__ T____ (we'll call him WT), but I wasn't sure.

About a week ago I received a phone call from an elderly lady whom I did not know. She explained that WT was her great-great-great grandfather and that she had done a lot of genealogy research to about him. She had spoken with the owner of the land where I found the home site (a friend of hers) and he told her that I had located WT's house and suggested that she contact me. She was very excited to learn of my discovery and confirmed that I had indeed found the site of her ancestor's house. The fact that I found items like silver cufflinks (including one that was made from a 1762 half real coin) made sense, because WT was an attorney and a politician. She said that she and her cousins had searched for WT's grave with no luck, and she never dreamed that she would find out where he lived.

I shared some information with her and made arrangements to show her the site. Yesterday I met her, her daughter and another relative and took them there; the site is on the edge of a tiny field in the woods. Before walking to the site I showed them some of the relics that I had found there. I told her that I wanted her to have something that belonged to her ancestor and I gave her a silver cufflink and decorative dandy button

2016-07-07%2020_50_10.jpg 2016-07-07%2020_14_32.jpg

She was thrilled to receive them and thanked me profusely

3.jpg

So we walked to the site and I explained to them where I found the relics, and where the house would have been. I also explained how I found the site and that I knew where the structure was because of a concentration of square nails. They marked the area with flags so that they could come back to it later, then we took some photos; here is the lady, her daughter and yours truly

1.jpg

Call it instant karma maybe, but as I was standing at the site talking to the lady I looked down and right next to my foot was a complete arrowhead! I had never found a whole one in that field

2.jpg

This was a very rewarding experience for me for a couple of reasons. First, it felt good to help the lady connect to her past and to give her a couple of items that were worn by her ancestor; and second, it is cool to know who built and lived in the house and have some history for him. I metal detect because I am interested in the history, and in my book it doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:
Upvote 50

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's just awesome on so many levels. Such a great story, I have to say "honourable mention".

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You did everything correctly, from research to giving the family relics. That's a complete circle.

Thanks for sharing!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great representation of our hobby and a great story too. Thanks mate! :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I love these posts! You're awesome man and this is the stuff that needs to be recognized. Anyone can find awesome stuff....not everybody cares about people and goes above and beyond to show respect and offer them incredible history from ancestors. Great job

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
So that's what you look like Glenn! Like the above posts say - excellent job taking the time and caring. That was a very thoughtful deed, and did our hobby proud. We need more thoughtful people like you out there. Cheers buddy

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck of a story Glenn :occasion14: You're right, It really doesn't get much better than this... in your book and in my book :laughing7:. The fact that she was seeking out her ancestors history before she knew you existed, shows a true appreciation for the history of her g-g-g-grandfather. You taking her there and giving her some of her ancestors relics brought her family history alive and I'm sure she was thrilled. Just awesome on so many levels... WELL DONE.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.
All these people revisiting W-T's old place and learning about him.....
Recovering tangible relics and touching what he touched so long ago.

And then a relic turns up on site from some one before the house stood there to add more dimension.

What history!

Congrats.
And thanks for choosing the attitude toward the past you have , and for sharing it with others.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good!

But, part of me is wondering how quickly the no tresspassing signs go up. :tongue3:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool how that all came together. Good job representing the hobby and helping people connect with their past.
BTW it looks like the ladies were prepared for snakes, but you didn't share their concerns :laughing7:

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool how that all came together. Good job representing the hobby and helping people connect with their past.
BTW it looks like the ladies were prepared for snakes, but you didn't share their concerns :laughing7:

What-me worry?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also vote honorable mention.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are a lot of people out there that could care less about their ancestors but in recent years, many have become interested in where they came from and so on. I have a couple of relatives that have actual rooms set up just for history of our families, they are like sponges soaking up everything that they can find. People like you (and many others of us) are able to find tangible artifacts that once belonged to someone up the line. When we are able to rejoin them, these things become instant heirlooms to them, a very cool thing indeed. By your actions, you were able to fill in a lot of voids as well supply them with some very cool things. I believe that this is about as Honorable as you can get. Awesome post, I bet you were nearly as excited as they were as you filled them in on what you had found.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you were nearly as excited as they were as you filled them in on what you had found.

Yes I was. I look at the history of old sites as a puzzle, and whenever I can fill in a piece of that puzzle it is very reward. Plus it was great to pass on what I had learned to someone who really cared about it.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome Glenn! Making us all look good!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post!!! WTG on the return!! Definitely an honorable mention!!
Congrats and HH

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep swingin that site and find something with their initials on it! That would be a Positive connection :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread