Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, I'm back!

(Hope this is in the appropriate section)

Today's very interesting find comes not from the ground (unfortunately), but from research! I was researching my area's involvement in the Civil War, hoping to find locations of camps, skirmishes, troop movement etc. as possible metal detecting grounds (if not owned by NPS/SPS of course, and if posted, we would ask permission). I came upon a few articles that pretty well satisfied my appetite for research.

The first link: http://jeff560.tripod.com/beckley1.html

If you scroll down to 1862 on the timeline, you will find that both Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley were stationed in Beckley (my home town) in the winter of 1862. The names sound familiar? That's because both later became U.S. Presidents! I thought that was pretty awesome. It later goes on to describe a skirmish in the town as Confederate troops withdrew through it after the battle of Fayetteville. I had no idea of the scope of my area's involvement in the Civil War.

The second link: http://www.wvgenweb.org/raleigh/military/RalCoInCivilWar1.html

I came upon this newspaper clipping while trying to validate a rumor I heard about a camp in Shady Spring (my alma mater). In the 4th paragraph, it says how Brig. Gen. Alfred Beckley (who the city of Beckley was named after) established a 'camp for instruction' in Shady on Aug. 21, 1861 containing 200 men from Raleigh and Fayette Counties. Awesome! Mission: Accomplished. Now if I could only find the exact location of the camp...

What do you guys and gals think of this info? Does anyone have any more info on these sites or others? Advice? Suggestions? Anything at all will be much appreciated.

Also, dad and I will be hitting the coal camp again tomorrow for the first time since last year. So wish us luck!

Upvote 0

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Redneckin Rookie said:
Hey all, I'm back!

(Hope this is in the appropriate section)

Today's very interesting find comes not from the ground (unfortunately), but from research! I was researching my area's involvement in the Civil War, hoping to find locations of camps, skirmishes, troop movement etc. as possible metal detecting grounds (if not owned by NPS/SPS of course, and if posted, we would ask permission). I came upon a few articles that pretty well satisfied my appetite for research.

The first link: http://jeff560.tripod.com/beckley1.html

If you scroll down to 1862 on the timeline, you will find that both Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley were stationed in Beckley (my home town) in the winter of 1862. The names sound familiar? That's because both later became U.S. Presidents! I thought that was pretty awesome. It later goes on to describe a skirmish in the town as Confederate troops withdrew through it after the battle of Fayetteville. I had no idea of the scope of my area's involvement in the Civil War.

The second link: http://www.wvgenweb.org/raleigh/military/RalCoInCivilWar1.html

I came upon this newspaper clipping while trying to validate a rumor I heard about a camp in Shady Spring (my alma mater). In the 4th paragraph, it says how Brig. Gen. Alfred Beckley (who the city of Beckley was named after) established a 'camp for instruction' in Shady on Aug. 21, 1861 containing 200 men from Raleigh and Fayette Counties. Awesome! Mission: Accomplished. Now if I could only find the exact location of the camp...

What do you guys and gals think of this info? Does anyone have any more info on these sites or others? Advice? Suggestions? Anything at all will be much appreciated.

Also, dad and I will be hitting the coal camp again tomorrow for the first time since last year. So wish us luck!
Good luck! DD.

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
update: finds from today's hunt are up. thanks for the good luck DD!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions