Back in the woods foundation hopping ....... What do you think is in this ?

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY GUYS AND GALS

Decided to try something different today and hit the woods back over the mountain with Cousin ED.

Checked out first 4 foundations and nothing for me except the iron plate... which I have in cider vinegar now...and the 2 buckles.

Cousin ED pulled out the eagle button.....seemed like such a weird location to pull out that button. Any ideas on the button ???

Then the last foundation I hit the round case with the bird on it. It is quite heavy and cannot open it as it is corroded around the edges and the hinge.

I,m soaking the bottom of it in vinegar also to try and get to let go.

Any ideas on what is inside it ???

Would like to know what is inside it before I try to open it.

2014-04-14 14.59.30.jpg 2014-04-14 15.00.39.jpg 2014-04-14 16.32.23.jpg 2014-04-14 16.33.13.jpg 2014-04-14 16.34.03.jpg 2014-04-14 16.34.43.jpg 2014-04-14 16.39.49.jpg 2014-04-14 16.40.00.jpg 2014-04-14 16.40.15.jpg

Upvote 3

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button is a US Army "Great Seal Of The United States" button, which was first adopted for use on Army buttons in 1902, and is still on them today. The version you found has a raised rim, which did not appear until 1910, so it can date anytime from that year to the present. We may be able to narrow down that date-range for you. In the World War One era, the Great Seal buttons had what was called a "black finish" applied to their brass front, as a sort of camouflage to make them less visible to the enemy in combat. The use of "black finish" on them was discontinued in 1923. Your button seems to still have a thin layer of dirt-encrustation on it. If you clean it off and see remnants of "black finish" you'll know the button dates from sometime between 1910 and 1923.

Also, your button seems to have a backmark (the name of a button manufacturer or dealer), which sometimes can be time-dated to a narrow range. If you can read the name, tell us what it is.

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is a US Army "Great Seal Of The United States" button, which was first adopted for use on Army buttons in 1902, and is still on them today. The version you found has a raised rim, which did not appear until 1910, so it can date anytime from that year to the present. We may be able to narrow down that date-range for you. In the World War One era, the Great Seal buttons had what was called a "black finish" applied to their brass front, as a sort of camouflage to make them less visible to the enemy in combat. The use of "black finish" on them was discontinued in 1923. Your button seems to still have a thin layer of dirt-encrustation on it. If you clean it off and see remnants of "black finish" you'll know the button dates from sometime between 1910 and 1923.

Also, your button seems to have a backmark (the name of a button manufacturer or dealer), which sometimes can be time-dated to a narrow range. If you can read the name, tell us what it is.

ty CannonmballGuy

Great back ground information right there !!

Will ask Ed today if it has any of the black on it after he cleaned it up.

The back says ---- NEW YORK-- but I couldn,t make out what else it said. Will ask Ed today if he was about to see the rest of the writing after he cleaned it.
He will be most appreciative of the info you guys have provided.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably ladies rouge/blush container, little small for face powder.
Nice finds! Hope she put a gold coin in it! Is it heavy?

OP
OP
AQUA

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably ladies rouge/blush container, little small for face powder.
Nice finds! Hope she put a gold coin in it! Is it heavy?

HAHA....I hope so too.... yes it is heavy . Doubt it is full of water/mud as the cover is very tight .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread