Back into the Swing of Things! With worries...

Kiko68

Mar 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
ACE 150
Greeting from Ontario! I'm finally back into the swing of things...but with a few worries. Alright, I'll fill you in ;)

Well, I've been out a few times in April and May...not much time to spend Swingin'. I've mainly been hitting parks, and open areas, but that seems to be impossible now that the weather has warmed up. This is where I worry. With the increasing warmth, the parks and all of my usual spots are PACKED with people, picnicing, small children and teens in the parks, and that's been stopping me from hunting. I've been out to a few places only to come back with just nails and junk. I'm not complaining, because it's always fun to get out. Where does everyone here hunt without parks or tot - lots? I live in an area with four schools per square kilometer, and it's mostly a family area. Everything is always taken up. I also live in a city where there really isn't any historical significance. Can anyone give me any tips? Places to hunt? Where do you guys go when your usual spots are occupied? I just came back from a spot that was used in the 1940's that used top be a grocery store. Didn't really turn up much, but will be going back again soon. That's my ONLY spot right now, and I'm worried. Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks! Kiko

Upvote 0

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Well the schools should be out for summer soon so they will become my number 2 target soon. The parks you have to hit very early or very late. I notice Sunday morning is also a lot better than Saturday due to limited use...Church not a lot of sports on Sunday played in parks my kids rarely have their team sports scheduled on Sunday.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiko - I go to tot lots on Sat and Sun mornings from 6 - 10ish, then if I still have some energy, I will find a park that is not crowded, and start working it. If the parks are crowed, I will pick one that has a wooded edge, and work along the tree line. People utililize all areas of a park, just some more than others. The pickin's may be fewer, but if you're trying to avoid contact, then that's the way. Might also want to consider wandering into the woods. That's what I will be doing Memorial Day weekend. We've got a park here in town that is just a wooded area, with a few paths through it. Legend has it that there is an old trading post somewhere in there. The area is on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River.

HH
Neal

don

Jan 21, 2005
I don't know why you say London Ont is not historic

Lots of old history there and some good old parks and homes, and schools
Plenty of places to detect.
I only wish I lived closer I would have a field day.
Do some research and you will prosper.

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
I don't post much... But I find the average.

My two cents.... : Change venue.

DO NOT GO WHERE YOU HAVE GONE. - Pick some odd places.. Like truck stop or highway stop... Scraped places. Down town parking grass edges...
Let your imagination call you.... Dats what I do when I feel like a change..
I asked a commercial whoesale store if I could walk around the outside once.
I had mabe 10' x 10' of dirt. I peeled strips of grass off before digging. When I was done I sprayed the grass with liquid fertilizer.... (Probably never sees water...) A week or so later they were extremely happy..... GRASS.... I got a few goodies.. Just cause I picked a never picked spot...

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Go to the local library and ask if there are any books written about local history. there are two written about the county that I live in (history in pictures actually) which have probably given me enough leads to last for a great while.

Good luck to ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread