Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted a couple weeks ago about a new site my partner Reid and I hit and found around 70 buttons between us. The site appears to date to the early 1800s with a smattering of colonial and CW artifacts thrown in as well. The quantity of finds has begun to dwindle as expected, but after talking to the farmer yesterday I received some new info that may result in the potential for more finds. More about that in a later post, hopefully. Anyway, in 2 trips back to this site I dug about 15-20 more buttons and a few other odds and ends. The best button was a pre-war 1-piece eagle with some of the silver gilting left. It also had thread attached to the shank. A surprise find was a small piece of a bearded man, or bartmann, jug. Its actually shows part of the face including one eye. This is encouraging as the oldest find from previous hunts was a VA halfpenny. The farmer also told me that over the years the members of his immediate family had found more than 500 arrowheads in this field. Reid and I have come up with 3-4 so far. The field is mostly bare dirt at the moment, but the cover crop is coming in and it won't be long before it will be difficult to do any eyeballing. So looks like this site will keep me busy for a while, and my other permissions will have to wait.

Attachments

• 111511f.JPG
    111511f.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 111511c.JPG
    111511c.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 111511d.JPG
    111511d.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 111511g.JPG
    111511g.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,147
Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fun dig Bill. I never get tired of digging buttons, even flat ones. You know there is always a few good coins or marked buttons in there somewhere!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pile there Bill. Some very nice buttons. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very good pics ... :thumbsup:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there Bill :icon_thumleft:

And yep i see the colonial pottery in there..Hit that place hard :thumbsup:

No War of 1812 buttons?

Blaze

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill D. (VA) said:
I posted a couple weeks ago about a new site my partner Reid and I hit and found around 70 buttons between us. The site appears to date to the early 1800s with a smattering of colonial and CW artifacts thrown in as well. The quantity of finds has begun to dwindle as expected, but after talking to the farmer yesterday I received some new info that may result in the potential for more finds. More about that in a later post, hopefully. Anyway, in 2 trips back to this site I dug about 15-20 more buttons and a few other odds and ends. The best button was a pre-war 1-piece eagle with some of the silver gilting left. It also had thread attached to the shank. A surprise find was a small piece of a bearded man, or bartmann, jug. Its actually shows part of the face including one eye. This is encouraging as the oldest find from previous hunts was a VA halfpenny. The farmer also told me that over the years the members of his immediate family had found more than 500 arrowheads in this field. Reid and I have come up with 3-4 so far. The field is mostly bare dirt at the moment, but the cover crop is coming in and it won't be long before it will be difficult to do any eyeballing. So looks like this site will keep me busy for a while, and my other permissions will have to wait.
Wow!! that is a lot of buttons, great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions