Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back to the 1800's House Site

I spent 3 hours at this heavily pounded site today and managed to find an interesting early heavy piece of brass with an inscribed letter on it. :thumbsup: I first hunted this site in the spring of 2013 and found an 1808 – 1811 US Infantry Button here. I noticed a large stone close to the small road that runs along the water, I believe this was the entrance to a colonial house that stood on a little knoll at the edge of this field. Based on my finds I would say the building was torn down in the mid-1800's. I concentrated on that knoll quite a bit last year and never found anything more than early hand-made nails. I'm sure there has to be a few more goodies hidden in the iron there though. This I spring spoke with one of the locals walking his dog and was told that he had heard of 3 or 4 – 18thc coppers being found in the low ground, that's also where a Spanish silver 2-reale was found! I always wondered what else was found here … too bad I located this site a tad late! :dontknow:

If you head over further along this field, it gets wet and there is a rise in the ground near another telephone pole. I understand a couple of LC’s were found over there but there’s a lot of iron … I have good reason to believe there was a late-1800's or early-1900's house there.

‘The finds’ …
Early hefty brass ‘shield’ with inscribed letter, Barbados One-Cent, 1940 Canadian Penny & a 1950 ‘Wheatie’. I've included pics of the 'shield' before and after I brushed it with a light coat of beeswax/silicone.
Let me know what date you all think the ‘brass shield’ is and what its original function may have been. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking and best of luck,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC18777.JPG
    SDC18777.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC18776.JPG
    SDC18776.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 97
  • SDC18783.JPG
    SDC18783.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 107
  • SDC18781.JPG
    SDC18781.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 146
  • SDC18766.JPG
    SDC18766.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 147
  • SDC18765.JPG
    SDC18765.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC18795.JPG
    SDC18795.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 123
  • SDC18790.JPG
    SDC18790.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 131
  • SDC18813.JPG
    SDC18813.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 145
  • SDC18789.JPG
    SDC18789.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC18822.JPG
    SDC18822.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 114
  • SDC18793.JPG
    SDC18793.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 5

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet there are some goodies still in the iron, "almost" always that's where the best stuff is.
If you don't already have the smaller coil for that ATP, I would strongly suggest you get one and try it. It is vastly superior to the stock in those places.

That's an interesting piece with th"J" on it.???

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really nice

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bit of a mystery - the absence of any holes whereby it could be riveted or tacked down has me scratching my head on this one .
I suppose it could have been inlaid flush (cemented down ) on a fine gentleman's humidor or cigar box - but I would expect the piece
to be silver not brass , and I would certainly expect two or three letters engraved for first, last, and middle names .

( as to the dating of this piece I'm thinking late 18th c. or very early 19th c. based on the profile shape and the style of the letter)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll bet there are some goodies still in the iron, "almost" always that's where the best stuff is.
If you don't already have the smaller coil for that ATP, I would strongly suggest you get one and try it. It is vastly superior to the stock in those places.

That's an interesting piece with th"J" on it.???

Thanks for your post and for this advice Rick! :thumbsup:
I am already using a 5" x 8" coil on my AT Pro, it's much better at separating the signals out.
Dave
You and Dave are having a great year so far! :occasion14:
Dave

really nice

Thank you DL, best of luck to you! :thumbsup:
Dave

That's a bit of a mystery - the absence of any holes whereby it could be riveted or tacked down has me scratching my head on this one .
I suppose it could have been inlaid flush (cemented down ) on a fine gentleman's humidor or cigar box - but I would expect the piece
to be silver not brass , and I would certainly expect two or three letters engraved for first, last, and middle names .

( as to the dating of this piece I'm thinking late 18th c. or very early 19th c. based on the profile shape and the style of the letter)

I think you're probably right about it being "inlaid flush (cemented down ) on a fine gentleman's humidor or cigar box" Arg.
I've been trying to figure out why there's an iron 'smear mark' on the back of this plate, maybe it was in contact with a nail while it was buried in the ground? :icon_scratch:
You're right as well in saying, "I would expect the piece to be silver not brass , and I would certainly expect two or three letters engraved for first, last, and middle names".
The presence of only one initial on the face makes this a bit of a mystery. :dontknow:

Thanks for your post my friend,
Dave

Very nice indeed... And a good read. Thanks for sharing.. HH

Thanks for your post and for the compliment alwayssearching! :hello:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Thanks for sharing...

Thank you Sir! :icon_salut:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This might be one of those unsolved questions, Dave. I have a few of those unfortunately too. Since you know some history, and nice finds have been made already, that would be one of those plan "B" sites to return to when my first choice didn't work out. The font on the shield sure looks old. Perhaps it could have even been part of a door knocker....who knows?

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I really like that badge/shield.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by those finds it looks like there are still a few strong signal hits there to be dug by a detector. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too long without seeing their findings ..... a hug and good luck in the hunt! :hello:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This might be one of those unsolved questions, Dave. I have a few of those unfortunately too. Since you know some history, and nice finds have been made already, that would be one of those plan "B" sites to return to when my first choice didn't work out. The font on the shield sure looks old. Perhaps it could have even been part of a door knocker....who knows?

Thanks for the info Dave ... unfortunately this is one of those mysteries that's been lost in the mists of time. :dontknow:
Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Nice finds. I really like that badge/shield.

Thanks for your post my friend! :thumbsup:
The badge is rather 'hefty' too ... just like me! :laughing7:
Dave

Judging by those finds it looks like there are still a few strong signal hits there to be dug by a detector. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your moral support Evo! :icon_thumleft:
Hope to get back there next week to work further-a-field.
Dave

I too long without seeing their findings ..... a hug and good luck in the hunt! :hello:

Thanks mate! :thumbsup:
Hope you and your family are all well,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread