Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
castle-front.jpg

I went out for a short, 2-hour hunt yesterday to the "castle house" that NJLARGECENT and I hit a few weeks ago. I bundled up: 2 layers of pants, 4 layers of top including hoodie. Got to the property and started sweating. I guess I hadn't been outside yet that day. BALMY!! Stripped a couple layers off and started my hunt.

On my way I had left a voicemail for James (NJLARGECENT) telling him I was off to the castle and to make a prediction for me. I later got a text reading, "V nickel."

I focused on the front lawn which is where I figured coin drops/spills would be since there's a hill near the sidewalk that I envisioned folks of yesterday sitting on during lunch breaks, etc. There's a fence between the lawn and the sidewalk that I was unable to discriminate out because it hit back with the highest tone possible. Oh well, so I had to deal with it.

Our first trip to the castle we cherry picked, so this time I wanted to be more slow and steady and give some iffy targets a shot. But I was getting solid signals... and too my own disappointment in a way, right next to or even right on top of plugs I had already dug! Usually I'm very particular about my plugs, but this house is getting knocked down and has no foot traffic, so I give myself a little leeway.

Anyway, got some clad and then pulled up an Indian Head penny. Couldn't make out the date, but I saw the telltale head dress. Shortly after I dug up a nickel, but could tell by it's coloring that it wasn't a normal clad nickel. War nickel! Sweet. I saw the 1942 plainly. Later saw the P mint mark.

In the 2nd hour I was digging a hole and had a hard time finding my target. Then I saw the roundness. Pulled out a completely smooth piece. Slug? Hmm... oh well. I"ll pocket it and check it out later. When I got home and after a soak in soapy water, I saw that the slug had a bust on it. I could see what looked like a pointy crown! Not to jump to conclusions, I went to my reference app and saw the liberty head v-nickel, confirming what I thought she was. "James is psychic!!!"

castle-2-coins.jpg

castle2-1937-wheatie.jpg

castle2-war-nickel.jpg

In addition to some junk and nails, I found this guy. It reminds me of a pinewood derby wheel... so perhaps a wheel to an old toy?

castle2-wheel.jpg

Thanks for reading. HH

Upvote 1

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Great hunt! By the looks of the castle house, I'd love to check out what may be hidden in the walls! Hope you get a chance to check the building out after it's been knocked down & before it's hauled away, if it's safe to do that. Love to see more of what you & friend dig from that yard! Andi

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to do the salvage on that house before it's knocked down and hauled away. I bet there are things that would go for big bucks down the road. Like window/door trim, newel posts & railings, window sash pieces. All that treasure and it's going to be trashed.

BTW, great finds too.8-)

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd be surprised if it were knocked down prior to salvage. My friend who owns it is an architect with a good eye, and his family is in the construction biz. I'll stick to the dirt, but would happily help explore the insides :-)

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad the castle produced again! Nice that you have a go-to spot close by. Go back, go slow, and go to town!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you could post some inside pics of the building....and then we could chip in with observations...

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old coins for the America ... good hunt ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe you could post some inside pics of the building....and then we could chip in with observations...

I don't have access to the inside. Something maybe I'll pursue next year...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread