Back to the Ghost town.

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
It got up to 34 degrees today. I went back to the ghost town lot where I found a 1900 Barber dime last Sunday. The wind chill was brutal. I could only stand to be out there for 10 min. at a time. Found a lot of bottle tops and a 1942 quarter. I think I have a good spot. I've barely scratched the surface yet. 20 min. total hunting and 2 old coins. I spent the rest of my time driving around and scoping out places to hunt. I hope everyone else had a fruitful weekend. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 1941wash.jpg
    1941wash.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 698
Upvote 0

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Cool! That's encouraging. Do you know whay the town was abandoned? I'm anxious to MD a ghost town near here that was abandoned when the rail line it serviced was closed. What type of areas were the finds? Front yard, driveway...??

OP
OP
C

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Hey Partenr,

In 1896 the water table rose from the use of flood irrigation and about 500,000 acres of crop land became waterlogged. Also I think Alamosa to the south grew and became the center of activity in the valley. All of the towns on that side of the valley are pretty much ghost towns with only 100 or so people living there now. I found the quarter about 3 feet from the town hall building and near the sidewalk. The 1900 Barber dime was about 10" from the sidewalk further down where two of the downtown buildings are long gone and there is just vacant land there now. I think there was a drug store there at one time. There are tons of places to hunt there. The townspeople are pretty laid back about it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go. Great picture too. Congrats.
-MM-

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Yep George ages well. Best of luck and I hope the weather becomes more tolerable for you.

Keep us posted, just leave the ghosts in the ghost town, no need to be digging them up. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread