Back to the grove ....plus

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
After finding the nice Canadian yesterday, I made it a point to get back to the grove this morning.I picked my way through an awful lot of wine bottle caps and found only clad and a few wheats.I started to make my way down the hill toward a single old oak tree when I realized I had lost the nut for my arm cuff.I set my detector down as I Mcguivered it back into working order and when I picked it back up....Bam...It was sitting on a nice quarter signal.Now from my experience so far this morn, that would be a large melted glob of aluminum, but I gave the plug a nice wide girth nonetheless.Good thing.......as I removed the plug what falls from the bottom but a beautiful silver....my first walking quarter. I gathered myself together after a tearful moment and swept the immediate area finding only several more wine bottle caps.At that point I was a little pressed for time and headed out to do some post Christmas shopping.
After shopping I decided to hit the up-river beach.The water was very low there but the exposed lake bottom had been picked clean.After about 45 minutes I had found one thin dime....not even any trash.OK...seeing as Im there, I head up the bank and hit the picnic area for a bit.Now in this area Im getting some hits but they are real deep and big like there is trashy fill under the grass.I dig a few pieces of junk and then, about ten inches down I pull up this awesome sterling baby spoon.Its got a pre International (Simpson,Hall,Miller) hallmark....very cool, and about ten ft from there I dig a silver plated baby spoon at about the same depth. Ok , its about dark now and as i head for the truck I turn the disc all the way up and swing away.About 50 ft from shut down I get a $ signal.Im game so I dig up some of the soft soil, feel around in the dirt and come up with three quarters and a Kennedy half all in the same hole.....this day should last forever! I tell ya ,hunting Michigan in December just feels good! Best of luck to all....heres the pics....Joe

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 424
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 431
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 438
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jop,

hunting Michigan at the end of Dec, ;D cool ;)

Very nice group of finds you pulled up.

By the way, when are you going back and look
for the nut from your arm cuff ;D ;D ;)

Again, very nice finds; good post.

have a good un...........

T

TreasureTales

What's with the tearful moment? Buck up mister. There's no crying in treasure hunting. LOL

Those baby spoons are awesome. Sterling silver is good to find anytime, but a ss baby spoon in a picnic grounds is awesome, what a great story.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice SLQ, and a good haul, WTG!!!
Dig those spoons... I've never seen a handle quite like that one...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
By the way, I found nine wheats....an 09, 19s, 24, 36, 38, 46,48,56,and 58
heres some more pics...

Attachments

• PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 517
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 521

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good job.

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 513
  • index.php.jpg.3.jpg
    index.php.jpg.3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 506
T

TreasureTales

Baby spoon handles were bent like that so the child could wrap the thing around his/her little hand and then shovel the food in. My nieces and nephew had spoons like that when they were little and they soon learned that it also provided better leverage when throwing their baby food. Ever see strained peas on a beige carpet? Looks disgusting. Sheesh

Forgot to mention your quarter in my previous post. It is in very nice condition. Usually don't find them with such great detail intact. The dates seem to go first...your quarter is a nice one.

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Jopher--

Hey I met you at the beach the other day, and I must say, you have had some incredable finds since then. I am impressed, an early Canadian and the Quarter, and the baby spoons, that blows me away, Keep it goin' J.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Man, that's a very nice coin andn spoon. WTG

HH

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Beautiful SLQ and with a date no less!!

One of the more impressive US coins IMHO as far as die design.

Gotta be more there!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
MICHIGANJAY said:
Jopher--

Hey I met you at the beach the other day, and I must say, you have had some incredable finds since then. I am impressed, an early Canadian and the Quarter, and the baby spoons, that blows me away, Keep it goin' J.
Welcome to the forum Jay. I think youll like it here.Ill send you some details on the spots if you'd like to check them out.Your MXT with the 5" may be just the ticket in the grove....Joe

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
nice slq....one of the nicest American coins to be found imo!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread