back to the park behind the house

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
went back to the park to go over 2 of the 4 volley ball courts. nothing there but trash. the back 2 volley ball courts had games going on so might hit those later. went around some more picnic areas and ponds. dug a ton of trash just to get a dog tag and 5 pennies. i hate pull tabs....the park was very crowded today. it was a beautiful day in central florida. might hit the beach in the am. i know it was crowded today also.
metaldetectingsebastian.jpg

metaldetectingsebastian006.jpg

metaldetectingsebastian005.jpg

Upvote 0

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I've had worse days, I hope you do well tomorrow. Metal detectorists should submit a Bill to congress to make throwing a pull tab on the ground a multiple thousand dollar fine haha, that would make our lives easier.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
washingtonian said:
I've had worse days, I hope you do well tomorrow. Metal detectorists should submit a Bill to congress to make throwing a pull tab on the ground a multiple thousand dollar fine haha, that would make our lives easier.
If you do this in Singapore they will cane you with a big wooden stick like 50 times. Even spitting on the ground will get you caned. Chewing gum is entirely banned. I bet detecting there is fantastic.

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

If you do this in Singapore they will cane you with a big wooden stick like 50 times. Even spitting on the ground will get you caned. Chewing gum is entirely banned. I bet detecting there is fantastic.

Probably. Unless they flog people for digging in public places as well.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tha
tuatara said:

That's a good point. Either that or you have to buy a permit for $5000.

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Ah yes.. the infamous PULL TAB. The bane of all metal detectorists everywhere. It's rare that you DON'T find a pull tab whenever you pull out the detector and hunt. I've decided that with all the little mismatched earings, ring, charms and other bits of silver and gold I've found over the past few years.. which isn't a whole lot really.. will become an inside joke. I want to melt down the precious metals and have me a couple of solid gold or solid silver pull tabs made to wear on a chain around my neck. ONLY another metal detectorist would understand the significance you see, other people would only see silly pull tabs. <laughing>
The bane to our hobby, yes they are. Those pull tabs are every where, indeed, but if you don't dig them up or ignore their signals, you WILL MISS good stuff. You'd be surprised how many rings, and coins only return a faint or decidedly "pull tab" like signal to your detector. I was told repeatedly by the old timers.. or at least "long timers" here on TNet, that you have to "DIG EVERYTHING" to find the good stuff. Well my friend, that advice is GOLDEN. It does work. If you dig every one of those pull tab signals, you find that they aren't always pull tabs.
Oh and one other thing. Or two actually. There are always one or half a dozen charities asking for "saved" pull tabs to raise money for this cause or that cause. So save all those pull tabs in a bag, or later a can.. or like me.. a BUCKET to make someone's day when you finally give them to someone collecting them. As for "Two".. well.. if no one is collecting them, there's always the recycling center and the scrap price on aluminum is pretty good most of the time. <smile>
So, it's okay to curse the bane of humanity..or at least metal detectorist, but dig them up all the same. Sometimes the rewards will surprise you, and you will be a better detectorist for it... the practice anyway. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

p.s. As for detecting around the volley ball courts. Yeah the sand in the courts themselves will give up some treasures.. but searching around the outsides of them may turn up even more coins and goodies than in the playing areas. I mean everyone takes off their shoes and sometimes other bits of clothing, purses, coolers, picnic baskets, gym bags etc and they want them close by.. so always search the perimeters of the courts as well. Good Luck!

OP
OP
antlr-king

antlr-king

Jan 14, 2010
melbourne,fl
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
thanks for all the encouragement. my wife does save the tabs so i will start giving them to her to donate.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
Tha
tuatara said:

That's a good point. Either that or you have to buy a permit for $5000.

That sounds like a utopian society there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions