Back to the scout camp and I found a half penny and my first dollar coin of 2021

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to the scout camp after almost a month of cold and deep snow that made it impossible to detect there. It was still cold (28), the snow has melted and the ground has not yet refrozen so the digging was messy, but not difficult. I did have to wear mittens to keep my old fingers from getting numb, but I have figured out a system that makes things go pretty smoothly.

My first trip back I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 on the parade field so this time only 3 camp tent pegs. I ended up with 103 coins with a face value of $10.99, some fishing gear, a bunch of sinkers, a 3 year pin without a post, a rope tensioner, a half penny, a BSA pin, a dollar coin, a neckerchief slide, an aluminum soda can and some tabs.

D4D901C3-C1FE-4F1C-B2DA-B146D48ECC1B.jpeg

As you can see the half penny is just a penny cut in half (Not what you were expecting is it.) Also got my first dollar coin of the year. Nobody uses them out here in the hills so they don’t turn up very often. It’s always nice when you think you’ve just dug a quarter and when you look closer you see it’s larger and thicker.

75AE3F22-1453-4985-BC61-5157EC0B5759.jpeg

On my second trip this week I went to some of the weekend sites not used for summer camp. Troops sign up and use these sites and bring all their own equipment and tents, normally just for a weekend. These sites are not used as much as the summer camp sites and are smaller. On this trip I completed one site and did half of another. Summer camp sites usually take 3 or more 6 hour trips to complete. In 6 hours the CZ21 managed to target 118 coins with a face value of $10.73, a handle from a troop mess kit, a mag light flashlight, a magnesium fire starter, 2 stainless spoons, another splitting wedge, a few tabs and a bunch of light weight aluminum tent pegs.

970F7144-0019-43DC-BF21-B22E31E0A3B4.jpeg 76E71EE4-37F5-4D43-998F-1283CF167A4D.jpg

I made a short trip to the old high school and found some clad and a small wheat harvest (7) earlier in the week. Most of the wheaties where in the 1940s, but I did get a well worn 1917D. (1917D, 1930D, 1940, 1941, 1945, 1947, 1953). All total 71 coins with a face value of $2.97, as usual tabs and trash were harvested as well.

72ADB0A3-BDFE-444A-A3C1-239CD03AC2BD.jpeg 4127FA31-EFA7-43F2-B9ED-0092D73E2F80.jpeg

So my first week of 2021 didn’t see any gold, silver, or anything really old, but I did get a nice batch of gas money to keep my clad count on track for my best year ever (My year ends April 30.), another splitting wedge to help when I cut my firewood, and more interesting scout stuff. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 15

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: ...scout camps can be great - especially if you can find an older one
i hit one when i was a kid in the late 70s (17 yrs old)- camp was mostly a boy scout camp in the 50s and 60s - then girls scouts started using it
lots and lots of items from both - neckerchief slides, jackknives, pins and badges, scout rings and tons of coins - lot of silver ones
there was never anything in this area before this camp - it was in the town i grew up in in Ma. and i researched it back to its first settlers - nothing was out here but woods... BUT one day i was out there with a few other hunters - i headed out to a high bluff that would be a perfect spot to hunt for deer - i got a huge blast and stuck my knife in and popped up a colonial copper - couldnt believe it - i ran over to one of my hunt partners and showed him - he could not believe...we were like "whats that doing out here?"
i went back to spot and rechecked and popped another in same hole and yelled to friend and rechecked again and got another then another - i got 5 colonials each one was different but in rough shape but you could see the heads some were right facing some left and had seated woman on the backs - what a spill though my thoughts that it was from a hunter sitting or sleeping out there

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found some nice pieces of Boy Scout memorabilia.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff!! The token is a John Adams from the first Presidential set. I think 1930's/40's. On second thought, maybe not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff!! The token is a John Adams from the first Presidential set. I think 1930's/40's. On second thought, maybe not.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tony in SC it is not a token. It is a presidential dollar coin minted in 2007. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have a large collection of sinkers as well. I hunt the bay and beach areas, and it’s unreal how many sinkers are lost. Keep hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread