paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the snow finally melted, I hiked back to the site I found deep in the woods at the end of February. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/569687-completely-unsearched-site-lcs-fe-cent-relics.html I can't believe it took over a month to get back there, but when I arrived it was just as I had left it and I picked up the gridding where I left off. Interestingly there really wasn't much to be found in the surrounding area. If I went more than 30 feet from the cellar hole in any direction there was nothing in the ground besides shotgun head stamps and the occasional rifle shell.

After a bit of that I returned to the area immediately surrounding the cellar hole and did multi-directional passes through the iron-rich areas for missed signals. I have to say, the Deus in fast mode is a beast. I was pinpointing the tiniest signals sometimes fused to iron. The large cent I found was standing on its side sandwiched next to a rock!

I didn't find an incredible amount of relics which is a testament to how good the basic program is to begin with, but there was a good haul at the end. The star find is this 1858 flying eagle cent in stunning condition.

DSC05851.JPG DSC05853.JPG

This is the second FE at this site, but the detail left is amazing. The relief on the tail feathers is better than many of the non-dug coins that I've seen and I don't think I can hope to find much better out there.

After some tooth picking the 1826 large cent also turned out to be in decent shape:

DSC05854.JPG DSC05855.JPG

That was it for coins, but I did start to find some buttons at the site; including one fantastic floral pattern button.

DSC05859.JPG

Another very interesting relic was this brass lion head.

DSC05856.JPG DSC05858.JPG

After some research it looks like this is the clasp from a wool cloak. There would have been a second lion head with a small length of chain attached and the hook on my piece would be looped through one of the links. Apparently these were favored by policemen, but not necessarily exclusive for their use. Based on the site, it seems likely that this is 1850's through 1860's, but they were popular through Victorian times.

Another piece with a good story is this clay pipe stem fragment.

DSC05860.JPG DSC05861.JPG

In the past I've only found plain stems and bowls, so this is my first with a maker's mark. The mark is partial, but still enough to get the name "Peter Dorni" identified. The style is quite distinctive and is something of an enigma in archeological circles. The original maker may have been from France, but the style and design was copied by several other manufacturers and this could have come from Holland or Germany. The date range though is generally accepted to be from 1850-1880 which also fits this site.

The rest of the finds were of usual homesite fare:

DSC05862.JPG

Four pewter spoon fragments, two different shoe plates, a nice heavy brass drawer pull, batwing buckle, and parasol slide. I also found a number of horsehoes and iron relics which aren't pictured.

There's probably a little more to be discovered here, but not a huge amount. The date range of the relics recovered is remarkably compact. 1840 through 1865 with only a few very worn coins that date to earlier (indicating long circulation). It seems like the family was only at this site for one generation and then left for whatever reason. This might also explain why there was so little at a distance from the cellar hole. If they weren't there for long, there was proportionally less foot traffic away from the house and less opportunity to loose things. I would like to try sifting the trash pit at some point, but will have to be a project for a later date. Until then, I have more sites to research and find!

DSC05850.JPG

Upvote 21

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now them is some awesome finds!!! Congratulations!:occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice, the two coins are in excellent shape. loved the buttons as well and then the lion clasp is sweet

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your unsearched site has produced some awesome coins and relic items T hat F.E, is clear and clean. I also like the largie.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds again sir!

The little batwing buckle looks good to me. The FE is absolutely stunning, wow.

Big congrats.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Another very interesting relic was this brass lion head.''

Nice a 19th C Cloak Clasp!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and nice finds! You did some good research and accurately dated and identified your finds. Everything was not erroneously listed as "colonial" or Civil War era.

The flying eagle cent is a real peach.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I GIVE THIS A 10> DAMN NICE FINDS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread