Back to the Western & Eastern Field, Spanish Silver Buttons, MASS button!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back to the Western & Eastern Field, Spanish Silver Buttons, MASS button!

Finally got the call that mom and I have been waiting a year for. The soy beans are cut! And the wheat is not planted as of yet. Made the cover of the W&E back in August? for all of our finds from this 300 acre field. Including 1794 Liberty Cap,NJ copper,1800 Half cent, and 80+ colonial buttons. Went out this morning and tried to put a hurting on a field that we beat the crap out of last year. One thing was different I had my new T2 SE this time. Did not find any coppers but did pull 13 more buttons out and a really cool MASS button that I can not ID. I dont see my variety in Tices book. It does not have stars bordering the front. Find of the day was my moms buttons. She only found 2! But 1 of them was a beautiful 1/2 reale coin button! 1786. When she got home she realized that the other button she dug was in fact ANOTHER 1/2 reale from 178?. What are the chances. I would trade all 13 of mine for one of hers! :notworthy: Little bit of a slow day but there is still more to find. Here's the pics. If anyone could ID the MAss button I would appreciate it! ALso there is a large very deeply domed ornate button that I could use Iding too. Its a beaut.
PB130588.jpg

PB130594.jpg

PB130595.jpg

PB130590.jpg

PB130589.jpg

PB130593.jpg

PB130592.jpg

Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Back to the Western & Eastern Field, Spanish Silver Buttons, MASS button!

very nice Reale buttons :o ...congrats ! :thumbsup: :hello2:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys are on a great spot! That is amazing that your mom got two of those half real cufflinks the same day considering how hard you hunted there previously without finding any. I have found several of the the brass "facsimile" Spanish coin cufflinks and a couple that were made from the actual coin. One them looks like they smoothed the shank off and put it back into circulation. The ones your mom found look they did a nice job attaching the shank compared to mine.

Attachments

• Coin cuffs back.jpg
    Coin cuffs back.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 942
  • Coin cuffs front.jpg
    Coin cuffs front.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 929

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks again guys. Will unfortunately I posted the pics via photobucket :( I didnt think it would get votes and the picture editor doesnt work on my computer. My 1794 LC didn't make it up top and neither did my 1708 pistareen. They look good in my relic collection though :headbang:

It is unfortunate that a 1916 D dime is a tap, but a rare colonial find is a longshot, but at the end of the day you have some great finds!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

those coin buttons are the shiznit! :headbang: :headbang:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Neil in West Jersey said:
SouthJerseyJim said:
Thanks again guys. Will unfortunately I posted the pics via photobucket :( I didnt think it would get votes and the picture editor doesnt work on my computer. My 1794 LC didn't make it up top and neither did my 1708 pistareen. They look good in my relic collection though :headbang:

It is unfortunate that a 1916 D dime is a tap, but a rare colonial find is a longshot, but at the end of the day you have some great finds!!
Agreed ???

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

looks like your mom had a great day finding those half realle buttons,
but your Mass button is a really great looking button as well !!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
SouthJerseyJim said:

Agreed ???

Those are some nice finds regardless, banner, no banner, what difference. I don't think banner is the motivation that propells us (or at least me) out in the heat, the cold, the bugs, and even torential rains.

I made a couple of finds that "may" be banner worthy, 1720 shilling this spring, and my avitar, as yet to be IDed so how rare is that ? I know when I found these items, banner never crossed my mind, I know they are great finds, that's good enough for me.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Agreed Rick :icon_thumleft: The banner only last for a few weeks to a month. My finds will be with me for a lifetime :thumbsup:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great bunch of finds Jim. The Mass button is really cool. I love finding picture buttons. Moms two buttons, WOW! What a day. I want her to pick my lotto numbers for me... Looking forward to the new field... Art

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI South Jersey Jim; Great Button. !!!!

I will try to track it for you via my own resources here in "BOSTON" ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I know Rick found one in Gloucester Co a while back...I think it was somewhere around Mullica Hill.

DSCN0905.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0905.JPG
    DSCN0905.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 576

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI SJJ; That Deeply Domed Button is out of Era ----

It is called an ACORN button and was first issued in the 1600's. It went out of style in favor of the one piece button because of its durability in the EARLY 1700's. They broke easily. I noticed yours has a rim type of pattern on the dome area. If you can make out that pattern and tell us what the patttern resembles the maybe we can better date it for you. I think there is OLDER items and coins on the field. Everything you found indicates a LOT of use back then. I think you may have a gold mine there. Let us know.. I sent a copy of the Mass Button to my friend and I'm waiting to hear from him ok. Best Wishes. PEACE:RONB

PS : I'd like to buy it after we get the right info ok. Thanks. :icon_thumright:

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice stuff!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks again all. RonB Sorry for the late response. Here is the pic of the detail on the acorn button. Has a diagonally griped edge and asteriks or stars around the middle thanks for the ID! Waiting on that Mass button ID also. :icon_thumleft:
PB210602.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SouthJerseyJim; I believe the Acorn Button dates to ---

the later half of the 1600's. About 1670 - 1690 because the earlier examples were ust plain and bore no designs unless you were a Leader of some type. Also the technology to stamp or imprint designs on metal really did not reach the New World until the 1700's. If you notice even many of the one piece buttons have no design rendering them to the earlier part of the 1700's as well ok. I'm still waiting on my friend to reply on the Mass button ok. I will let you know ok. PEACE:RONB

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW! amazing finds both of you! that field has been very good to you! :headbang:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi SJ Jim; If my eyes are serving me right ::) It looks like from the second pics you Posted there appears to be the trace elements of Lettering on the Top Center of the dome. It looks like a letter "B". If so and there are other letters visible I may actually be able to trace it to it's Original Owner and then build a Biography of that person as well. It's a long shot but it is definitely possible. I have done exactly that several times before even though the Lettering is only traceable. The Lettered ones were or could be Specially made for that person with their lettering just like the GW buttons ok. Also, each Colony had its own specific Makers making it even easier to trace back ok. The more close ups the better ok. PEACE:RONB :icon_thumright:

SoMdRelicHunter

Sep 12, 2006
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

Nice finds!! Just like the gentleman who posted the picture from alberts book shows, this button is late. That backmark was used from 1880-1920 (according to the american military backmark book) I have one just like yours actually. Mines a bit earlier but still late. I think they are a very nice button so congrats on the good find! Please excuse grammatical errors. I am typing from my phone.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

SoMdRelicHunter said:
Nice finds!! Just like the gentleman who posted the picture from alberts book shows, this button is late. That backmark was used from 1880-1920 (according to the american military backmark book) I have one just like yours actually. Mines a bit earlier but still late. I think they are a very nice button so congrats on the good find! Please excuse grammatical errors. I am typing from my phone.
Sure would be great to trace lineage on that dome button :wink:
I got two toasty plain examples (copper), both lack shanks. (as explained above,
'discontinued because they broke')
Re: Your MA Button, was not shown in the Alberts pix posted.
as Barker stated there are differences in left arm and stance.
according to Tice, that BM is correct for CW era.
" *SCOVILL MF'G CO * / WATERBURY DM with an inner ring of dots "
I don't have the backmark book SoMdRelicHunter mentions,
So which is correct? Tice or American military BM book :help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread