Back to Virginias Tornado Alley . . . more BIG silver (But not mine)

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back to Virginia's Tornado Alley . . . more BIG silver (But not mine)

I posted about my friend's total loss a couple of days ago. Thanks for the kind responses, but Ahab, you went too far. There are many, many who did WAY more than me. I was amazed today at the "Disaster Response teams" that were there from all over the state (as well as individuals who just showed up with a truck and a chainsaw). There were groups from the Methodist and Baptist churches, A Motorcycle club, tons of caterers cooking in parking lots (all the food was free to victims and workers). Not posting for accolades, just another interesting way to give our hobby a good name.

DSCN2657.JPG DSCN2658.JPG

He had about 400 ounces. We found about 200 the first day, about 50 the second day, and only about 20 today. But we'll be back once the debris is cleared. Some jewelry has been recovered too. A gold ring with a sapphire in it, a bracelet, a gold necklace and a silver ring.

DSCN2660.JPG DSCN2661.JPG

And you know it's funny - I know all this silver has only been in the ground for three days, but after a hundred matchbox cars, pieces of furniture and a GAZILLION bullets (The guy kept his substantial ammo cache in the same safe with his silver - and the safe broke open and spread everything over an acre) when you dig and see a reeded edge or silver peeking at you . . . it's still a thrill! Weird, but true. Everything pictured are just the recoveries I personally made.

DSCN2664.JPG DSCN2665.JPG DSCN2666.JPG

Upvote 12

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that all the help and kindness is worth more than the treasure to him. I love to see all the caring people with big hearts.... YOU included cant find that with a metal detector!!!!!!!!!!! Great post.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should offer to buy one of his silver rounds you dug up so you can have one in your collection. Would be a great memento to have to remind you of this kind, epic, and although tragic treasure hunt you volunteered to go on. :treasurechest::thumbsup:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
What power these storms have to bust open a safe! Terrible, yet amazing, there is nowhere to hide. There are some horrendous stories about tornado winds changing various objects into lethal projectiles. I had a friend whose front window was blown out and later they found straw from the field across the road stuck endways all over the house and inside on the front room wall. It would have been like being shot buy a bunch of arrows if you had been caught in it.
The son no doubt got many big hugs for suggesting they eat out at the time the storm passed. That probably saved their lives. I hope everyone's insurance companies come though with financial help as soon as possible. You and all the helpers are a Godsend! There are no doubt many personal items that will be lost forever, but at least the owners are getting some of the precious metals back with your help. I am glad there was food provided too. It seems like when I read of catastrophes happening all over this country of ours, for the most part the people are on their own. Bless you kind sir!
Phil

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope the Good Lord continues to guide your hand while swinging your coil. I have personally seen the devastation storms like that can bring. I have also seen the little acts of spontaneous kindness they inspire in people. You are doing a very good thing PW:notworthy:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fine job! And it's not about who did more or less my friend. It's about who was there when people were in need. You sir are squarely in that category

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for giving so freely of your time and skills.
This is a great country. People will help their neighbors in times of need.
Thanks for being who you are.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THERE IS A MAN NAMED PARSON WHO ALONG WITH A BUNCH OF DETECTOR FREINDS , HEADED TO THE TORNADO DISTRUCTION IN SOUTHERN VA TO GIVE THE SURVIVORS A HAND . DONATING UNSELFISH TIME THEY ALL SET OUT TO FIND , LOST ITEMS BELONGING TO MANY, AND OTHERS DUE TO NATURES BRUTAL DEMISE . ITS GOOD TO KNOW WHEN IN TIME OF NEED MANY WILL RESPOND , BUT WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE , AND THE MANY LOST ITEMS RETURNED, ITS GOOD TO SEE THE SMILES ON THE SURVIVORS FACE EVEN THOUGH THERE IS STILL ALONG ROAD AHEAD .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions