Backpack Dredge

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Are there any old hands who can give some input/advice on backpack dredges?

I am thinking of investing in one, but have been advised that here in Ecuador they are not practical (do not move enough material). However, I'm thinking of using it for cracks and crevices in shallow rivers and feeder streams coming down from the mountains. However, not sure of the practicality of one considering that I'd also have to hump in fuel.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont know about Ecuador but I have seen people use backpack dredges with great success here in California before the ban.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi starsplitter, me again.

Back in 92 I purchased a Keene "Backpackable 2" Dredge" and actually took the entire rig in two times, carried in everything myself took three trips each way. The vertical drop into the canyon is about 3,000' and the first time I took it in cross country without a real trail. Yes, to answer your quesiton, I am nuts! I do not advise taking in the entire dredge w/floats, support platform and all. I would take in the motor and water pump, water hoses w/strainer to keep sand and rocks out of the pump and some method of catching/classifying what the unit sucks up and then run the concentrates through a McKirk or California Sluicbox Highbanker. You will still be packing in a lot of weight and bulk but I did not find that having the unit floating in the water to be of much help. Of course I did not understand about having the angle of the riffle box at a place where the box would clear itself of most of what entered into it, uneducated novice there. And then there is the gas/oil mixture for running the unit, the little engine used for that size unit really sips the gas but in time it does use it up and without fuel you are out of business. You might look at one of the hand suction pumps that pulls the stuff up and then on the down stroke it dumps it into a catch bucket. A friend made one though I've not seen it in use but he made it from parts at Home Depot but then I don't suppose you have an HD in Ecuador. They are on the internet so do a little searching and you should find them.

Good Luck, ......63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand they now have HD in Ecuador with white folks out front lookn' for work :icon_scratch: bad..bad ol'man. Small puddle pumpers are great for what ya seek but be sure to modify for a blaster nozzle to double your output/recovery if not cast into the output end of the pump.tons a au 2 u 2 -John

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
John... I am a complete novice at this. What do you mean by "modify for a blaster nozzle to double your output/recovery if not cast into the output end of the pump.tons a au 2 u 2???"

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
a blaster hose is another hose comeing off your pump with a small nozzel on it so you can water blast the material from the cracks and itll help you dig out the bigger rocks by losening the material around it.i have a 1 1/4 inch hose tied to my 4 inch dredge and it has a nozzel with a 1/4 inch opening and it works great! Hoser posted this years back and i did it,and mine has a 1/4 inch opening on it with a valve so i can shut it off.i have this line tied to my 4 inch hose so it wont get washed away with the current! you can make a" Y" connection at your main pump output for this hose so youll have the max pressure youll need. the pumps bib on the side of the pump just isnt enough pressure for me!

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I suppose this is a dumb question, but doesn't that mean you are blasting out gold in the process?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread