Backpack for goldhog stream sluice

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if the sluice has a handle but you could attach one at the balance point or just make a sling setup so you can carry it with the sling over your shoulder. To lighten the load, roll up the mat and put it in your pack since the mat itself probably weighs as much or more than the body. Buckets and a shovel are another issue but the shovel could be attached to the sluice and the buckets, with mat coiled inside, seated on the shelf of a military style pack with a shelf.

With that said and for total backpack portability, I would say just cut the body in half and fabricate a way to re-join the two pieces so then you could nest them and the flare together to strap onto a pack such as was mentioned above......that is doable without affecting sluice performance IMO*. I am kind of kidding here but on the other hand I my self would be tempted.

Good luck.

*1 or 2" extensions of plate spanning most of the width of the sides and bottom and welded to the outside of one section so as to overlap the outer body of the other section and then secure the sections together with bolts and wingnuts on the sides. The gap between the two sections can be taped with gorilla tape in the field before installing the mat to prevent leakage.

Last edited:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can attach a handle like I did in the picture. The gold hog logo is the center balance.
Remove the legs and duct tape them into the sluice body for transport. No big deal.
105_0343.JPG

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just put the sluice in the pack and put some pipe insulation on the top edge. Then a couple of bungie cords. The opening on top has a draw string and it was just fine.

packnsluice.jpg

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just put the sluice in the pack and put some pipe insulation on the top edge. Then a couple of bungie cords. The opening on top has a draw string and it was just fine.

View attachment 1719868

The only thing I don't like about that is that I would have to get on my hands and knees to go under low hanging branches. I already have to do the same when I pack in my drywasher and it sticks up about a foot less. When you get to be my age you like to stay upright once you have achieved "uprightness".:laughing7:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can take the flare off it would be even with the pack. This is kind of a large pack. I dont have branches where I took this. My other thought was to take the flare off and mats out and strap it to the back. It's fairly light, so, a small bucket with tools water and food is still not very heavy.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL! Meeting up with Ben Dover should be saved for crucial moments with advancing age. Both the frame and pack shown are fine looking setups with good looking hip padding right where the weight should be carried.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the help. I’m going to attach a handle to the side of my stream sluice and later maybe get the straps so I could carry it on my back.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using screws that came with the handle? Or did you have to purchase screws with bolts?
You can attach a handle like I did in the picture. The gold hog logo is the center balance.
Remove the legs and duct tape them into the sluice body for transport. No big deal.
View attachment 1719570

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I remember using my own short bolts & nuts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread