Backpacking and gold prospecting In Uwharrie National Forest

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beautiful 3 day weekend so I went backpacking in uwharrie and I figured I’d bring a gold pan along and try that since I’ve never done it before. Found 3 teeny pieces of gold that are difficult to take a picture of, but they exist I swear! It’s the first I’ve ever found so it’s a cool souvenir. I found a pretty good crystal too. I wasn’t in the gold panning hotspots but I did see a lot of old mining remnants, deep pits and trenches and such. I have a lot of respect for anyone that did that 200 years ago. It’s tough work. Now I need to go back and try again for some real gold!

Attachments

• IMG_6720.jpeg
    IMG_6720.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6730.jpeg
    IMG_6730.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6719.jpeg
    IMG_6719.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Upvote 9

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that crystal. It was gold panning that got me started on metal detecting. I panned like crazy over in Rutherfordton County and only had two flakes. One in the pan and the other one was l@@king into the pan. :tongue3:
After all that hard work, I got into metal detecting instead.
I still have that one flake somewhere.
MM

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going :) Panning is not easy to learn

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that crystal. It was gold panning that got me started on metal detecting. I panned like crazy over in Rutherfordton County and only had two flakes. One in the pan and the other one was l@@king into the pan. :tongue3:
After all that hard work, I got into metal detecting instead.
I still have that one flake somewhere.
MM
I had a ton of fun doing it, just messing around in the creek. Heck of a feeling to see that shiny in the pan though!
Nice going :) Panning is not easy to learn
It definitely had a steep learning curve, much like the curve of my sore back afterwards!

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Those mountains I’ve heard are the oldest in the United States, lots of Indian history too

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those mountains I’ve heard are the oldest in the United States, lots of Indian history too
So old that at this point they're barely mountains anymore! There's a lot of history in that area for sure though from mining stuff, to rev war, to ancient people. Fun to read about and be able to see in person.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
So old that at this point they're barely mountains anymore! There's a lot of history in that area for sure though from mining stuff, to rev war, to ancient people. Fun to read about and be able to see in person.
Yeah the hannity site is interesting

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
It was a beautiful 3 day weekend so I went backpacking in uwharrie and I figured I’d bring a gold pan along and try that since I’ve never done it before. Found 3 teeny pieces of gold that are difficult to take a picture of, but they exist I swear! It’s the first I’ve ever found so it’s a cool souvenir. I found a pretty good crystal too. I wasn’t in the gold panning hotspots but I did see a lot of old mining remnants, deep pits and trenches and such. I have a lot of respect for anyone that did that 200 years ago. It’s tough work. Now I need to go back and try again for some real gold!
Good one. I used to love trecking into places I bet that was fun. Im a fan of quartz crystals too, nice one.
My back and right knee now say no, park, detect, drive home afterwards. 😖

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one. I used to love trecking into places I bet that was fun. Im a fan of quartz crystals too, nice one.
My back and right knee now say no, park, detect, drive home afterwards. 😖
I had originally planned on another night but sleeping on the ground isn't as easy as it used to be. Need to upgrade my sleeping pad.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you had a great time!

I'm sure you know but just in case, DON'T have a metal detector in Uwharrie, the Rangers will confiscate it and ticket you as well!!

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you had a great time!

I'm sure you know but just in case, DON'T have a metal detector in Uwharrie, the Rangers will confiscate it and ticket you as well!!
Don't worry I made sure I didn't even leave any detecting paraphernalia in my parked car for fear Id be shot on site!

It was a ton of fun though. Ive spent a lot of time in Uwharrie for a lot of reasons but this is the first panning Ive ever tried. Will definitely have to do it again.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations sounds like your hooked! It is a lot of fun! Good luck! I used to do panning at the Cotton Patch gold mine, do you know it it's still open?

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations sounds like your hooked! It is a lot of fun! Good luck! I used to do panning at the Cotton Patch gold mine, do you know it it's still open?
The Cotton Patch Gold Mine is still opened.....BUT only the campgrounds and store, etc., as of 2016 they no longer allow recreational prospecting there of any kind.

link to their website...

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely have to try again sometime soon!

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I undersold myself, I think I actually found 4 pieces. Let me know if any of yall need to borrow any money or anything!

Attachments

• IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    870.9 KB · Views: 2

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry I made sure I didn't even leave any detecting paraphernalia in my parked car for fear Id be shot on site!

It was a ton of fun though. Ive spent a lot of time in Uwharrie for a lot of reasons but this is the first panning Ive ever tried. Will definitely have to do it again.
I’m confused on the National Forest laws. If you go to the gov website, it says you can detect in the Nat Forests. You have to avoid archaeological sites though. It specifically says you can detect for coins. You can also take a bucket or two of rocks, no problem. It also says every Nat Forest has exactly the same rules nationwide. So why is detecting in Uwharrie illegal?

OP
OP
Hbot37

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused on the National Forest laws. If you go to the gov website, it says you can detect in the Nat Forests. You have to avoid archaeological sites though. It specifically says you can detect for coins. You can also take a bucket or two of rocks, no problem. It also says every Nat Forest has exactly the same rules nationwide. So why is detecting in Uwharrie illegal?
Uwharrie isnt a real national forest like they are out west, it has its own weird rules I've seen other posts on here where its discussed but I'm not 100 percent on the legalities. A large portion within the boundary is actually private property and theres something with mineral rights too.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All National Forests west of the Mississippi River have always been public property and still is, meaning it has never been own by individuals, all National Forests east of the Mississippi were all at one time private property owned by many people which was then bought by the government to turn into national Forests....BUT these lands are not public property but instead is owned by our government and therefore they have different rules from National Forest to National Forest in the east, some of the owners refused to sell so that is why there's private properties inside the boundaries of these eastern National Forest, so each National Forest in the east can have different rules from one to another and the ones out west.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread