Backyard finds

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800 & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been away from the hobby for a while (had to sell my previous collection of coins/relics & detector due to financial problems) but recently decided to get back into metal detecting because my wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new (old) home which was built in the 1870s. So I picked up a used XLT off of ebay (same machine as I had before). We won't be moving to the 1870s home for atleast another couple of weeks, so I decided to detect the lawn of my current house while we're waiting. Its not extremely old (built sometime in the 1940s I think) but it did yield a few pieces of silver and several wheaties!

My first signal got me pretty excited as it showed to be a quarter at 5".. I thought for sure it would be silver at that depth, but nope. It was a 1980something. After hunting the yard for about 20 minutes and digging several modern clad coins at depths of 4 to 6 inches, it became apparent to me that for some reason everything is deep in this yard. I'm not sure if they added new top soil or what, but I wasn't finding anything at less than 4". So I switched to one of my custom programs to get more depth, and sure enough I started popping out older wheaties at 7 to 9 " deep. Then came 2 silver rosies in the same hole at about 7" and a few more wheats later came another rosie and a merc both within a few feet of eachother. Plus about 30 clads and a few whatnots that I haven't a clue as to what they are. Anyway, nothing really old but it was fun! Now I'm even more excited about detecting the yard of the 19th century house!

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: wtg sounds like a good hunt , nice finds

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on that practice run :icon_thumleft: I hope you have more and better finds at your new home. Good luck.

TimTrac

Jul 30, 2009
Spanaway Wa
Detector(s) used
Etrac and VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds... I thought about buying a 19th century house just to metal detect... Don't care about the house itself as long as there is a lot of ground.... ;D

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys. :icon_thumright:

TimTrac said:
Very nice finds... I thought about buying a 19th century house just to metal detect... Don't care about the house itself as long as there is a lot of ground.... ;D

My wife accussed me of doing just that. ;D We looked at several (mostly modern) homes before picking this one, and the ol' lady swears the only reason I like this one so much is because I want to metal detect the lawn.
Shhhhhh... Don't tell her I said so, but...... she's right! :tongue3:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh my wife guessed the real reason, while I was stationed at Ft. Lee, and wanted to buy in the old
Hopewell area......she was smarter than I thought.
Well, you took some nice silver with you, and you've got to find silver.....maybe some GREAT BIG SILVER in the new
uuhhhhh old house. Have a good time hunting, and ...... for a few of the finds, I can be bought to keep quiet. ::)

OP
OP
NWGA-RelicHunter

NWGA-RelicHunter

Apr 26, 2007
Rome, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh my wife guessed the real reason, while I was stationed at Ft. Lee, and wanted to buy in the old
Well, you took some nice silver with you, and you've got to find silver.....maybe some GREAT BIG SILVER in the new
uuhhhhh old house. Have a good time hunting, and ...... for a few of the finds, I can be bought to keep quiet. ::)

You might be a metal detectorist if..... you buy an $90,000 140 year old home just so you can search the lawn for old coins that probably aren't worth any more than $9. ;D

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NWGA-RelicHunter said:
hikeinmts said:

You might be a metal detectorist if..... you buy an $90,000 140 year old home just so you can search the lawn for old coins that probably aren't worth any more than $9. ;D
Well, if you find enouf of the $9.00 coins................. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread