Backyard Finds

bvcxz

Jan 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running test sites and trying to learn the AT Pro with mixed results, but was pleasantly surprised to find these items in my yard that were not part of my test field.
The silver necklace was very surprising...I cleaned it a little so I could read the .925 Italy on the clasp to make sure. IT rang it in between 76 and 88, bouncing between trash iron I guess, and was about four inches in the ground. Thought maybe several coins were in a line.

The quarters were all newer, oldest being 1965 and ranged in depths down to 6 inches and ringing in at 81 to 90. And then there were the two dimes and three pennies.

I can't yet get used to cranking the sensitivity down...in standard coin mode it has to be down to only three bars or it acts crazy by going through various signal tones and even holding the coil in the air four feet at a 90 degree angle it will pull 91 targets out of thin air. The other thing is only digging consistant and repeatable signals...I hear that loud 91 "boinG" and think its something nice and deep hidden under a trashier signal.

Anyone else have that experience? Maybe this would be better discussed in another section? I am new here so forgive please if so.

Attachments

• 100_6165.JPG
    100_6165.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 839
Upvote 0

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a AT pro, I have not had that problem with mine. My brother just got the AT gold and He is kinda having that issue. He had to turn the sensitivity down on his to get rid of the static. We are both newbies so thats all I got.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is a bomber necklace!!! (I Found the men's bracelet that matches it last summer at a park!) I'll be getting my AT Pro Wednesday. I had a Ace350 so I'm kind of expecting it to be a lot like that. I'd run that on just three bars sensitivity. if you have overhead power lines or are near anything like that or worse bad luck you have a HAM radio operator near you (UG!) - you could be getting interference from some place. The basics I'd try first is check your batteries first (if they are low- they can cause issues- replace them if you need to) and check your cable connection to your coil, try and go some place else like a park with no power lines near where your going to detect. if your still getting bad signals you might want to contact Garrett and see what they say. if your finding stuff ok, it's likely your sensitivity setting is just too high. I know that from my experience if I were to bump either my ace or my mine lab while in mid swing I'd get a little noise- like hit a grass tuft or little dirt mound, no big deal- it's more annoying than anything. but if your off the ground and getting tones, that doesn't sound right.

one of the things I did with my ace was put down a few coins on the surface and scan over them at different settings just to see what sounds they made. I'm really excited to try out the AT pro in the water...it's going to be a while...but I'm looking forward to working with it.

anyhow man HH and welcome to Tnet. please keep posting your finds.

~Fitzy111

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an EMI issue to me. Give it a go at different sites and see how it reacts. My AT will chatter like crazy and flash random VDI numbers when the batteries drop too low. Also, learn to use it in the "Pro" mode. There will be so much more information about the target. Once you get the hang of the "Pro" mode, I doubt you will ever use the "standard" mode again.

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funkapotamus said:
I just got a AT pro, I have not had that problem with mine. My brother just got the AT gold and He is kinda having that issue. He had to turn the sensitivity down on his to get rid of the static. We are both newbies so thats all I got.

Have him set the ground balance if possible to eliminate the chatter. I have found myself doing that everytime I change locations and soil types. It really settles down the machine.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver!!!
:icon_thumleft:

Joe

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thunderchild said:
Sounds like an EMI issue to me. Give it a go at different sites and see how it reacts. My AT will chatter like crazy and flash random VDI numbers when the batteries drop too low. Also, learn to use it in the "Pro" mode. There will be so much more information about the target. Once you get the hang of the "Pro" mode, I doubt you will ever use the "standard" mode again.
...pro mode you got to be kidding right, whats that do knock out one exastra block Garrets discrimination is a joke.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread