Backyard Iron Relics Pt. 3

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back into the backyard last night and had considerable success. I'm starting to think that there was a horse stable and possibly a blacksmith shop on my property. In the pictures you will see two buckles from a horses harness (one iron the other possibly brass), a riding stirrup, an identified iron loop (I've found four of these so far), a large and heavy spatula (anyone know what this would have been used for?), an unidentified piece of iron and an old Ronson lighter. I also dug up many more pieces of scrap iron which are not pictured.

Attachments

• horse relics22.JPG
    horse relics22.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckles...

Attachments

• buckles2.JPG
    buckles2.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 536
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lighter...

Attachments

• lighter.jpg
    lighter.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 537
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stirrup...

Attachments

• stirrup.jpg
    stirrup.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 535

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a nice bunch of finds...not sure but the spatula thingy might be some sort of chisel.

HH
-GC

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm... so why does everyone keep all of this iron? It holds no value unless it is something of historical significance....

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares about value? The more "junk" iron I dig out of the ground the more I appreciate it. There are some nice tools that have been buried for a long time which may not hold any monetary value but are not found or seen everyday, rarities if you will. Do you just keep the gold and silver? Why keep anything that is not of monetary value? Just 'cause! ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Who cares about value? The more "junk" iron I dig out of the ground the more I appreciate it. There are some nice tools that have been buried for a long time which may not hold any monetary value not things that are found everyday? Do you just keep the gold and silver? Why keep anything that is not of monetary value? Just 'cause! ;D

Haha, that's like keeping cat or dog poop from your pets just because they are your pets, haha.

I've got fields and fields full of iron you can come and dig up to your heart's content, take all the iron you please because it's just getting my way of finding the good stuff, haha.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a break! I've been doing this (metal detecting) for exactly a week. Quit raining on my parade! >:(

You do your thing and I'll do mine.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Give me a break! I've been doing this (metal detecting) for exactly a week. Quit raining on my parade! >:(

Sorry bud... this was a general question aimed at everyone who keeps all of that rusty iron... Your post just happened to be the one I was reading when I thought about asking the question.

Again, I am sorry, and keep on hunting!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My skin is pretty thick, (like iron ;D) no need to apologize!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a large "drag magnet" like they use after roofing jobs finds alllllllll the iron goodies you want! i have all my iron in a 5 gallon bucket almost full so most is crap some is interesting stuff you dont see everyday...that just the stuff i coluld carry i dug up a tractor(?)engine(well part of it that i could see) the other week at a foot or more wished i had a bigger shovel and a pick up truck ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dekalb33 said:
use a large "drag magnet" like they use after roofing jobs finds alllllllll the iron goodies you want! i have all my iron in a 5 gallon bucket almost full so most is crap some is interesting stuff you dont see everyday...that just the stuff i coluld carry i dug up a tractor(?)engine(well part of it that i could see) the other week at a foot or more wished i had a bigger shovel and a pick up truck ;D

Haha, a tractor engine?!? WOW... that would be too much digging for me, I would give up and move on, haha, I'm too impatient!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just to make sure it wasnt "masking" anything.... ::)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post and I like that buckle.

The old wrought iron (hand worked) is my personal specialty and I really like it. And, it appears that many of our local museums agree with me on this one.

Iron relics be they Rev. War, CW, Lumberjack camp, or even some interesting items not related to a particular event in history are good and worthy of preservation. Contrary to what some might think, iron has an interesting history and the old pieces can be works of art.

You’re doing great my friend and don’t get discouraged. There are many of us out here who appreciate posts such as yours. This forum is NOT just for coin diggers.

The Village Blacksmith

Under a spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.
His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan;
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.
Week in, week out, from morn till night,
You can hear his bellows blow;
You can hear him swing his heavy sledge,
With measured beat and slow,
Like a sexton ringing the village bell,
When the evening sun is low.
And children coming home from school
Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,
And hear the bellows roar,
And catch the burning sparks that fly
Like chaff from a threshing-floor.
He goes on Sunday to the church,
And sits among his boys
He hears the parson pray and preach,
He hears his daughter's voice,
Singing in the village choir,
And it makes his heart rejoice.
It sounds to him like her mother's voice,
Singing in Paradise!
He needs must think of her once more,
How in the grave she lies;
And with his hard, rough hand he wipe
A tear out of his eyes.
Toiling,--rejoicing,--sorrowing,
Onward through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close;
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.
Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught!
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought!
-THE END-
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem: The Village Blacksmith

Attachments

• digs6-30-06a.jpg
    digs6-30-06a.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 376
  • digs6-30-06b.jpg
    digs6-30-06b.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 379

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bscofield6 said:
romeo-1 said:

Sorry bud... this was a general question aimed at everyone who keeps all of that rusty iron... Your post just happened to be the one I was reading when I thought about asking the question.

To answer your question bscofield6, we dig "that rusty iron" because we like it.

[Some comments where deleted by poster to keep this thread from getting a bit too candid for a family site ;)]

romeo-1 is just getting started and I hope he continues.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
bscofield6 said:
romeo-1 said:

To answer your question bscofield6, we dig "that rusty iron" because we like it.

[Some comments where deleted by poster to keep this thread from getting a bit too candid for a family site ;)]

romeo-1 is just getting started and I hope he continues.

Yeah, I know he is just getting started and it wasn't aimed at him. Just a general question. Iron relics are things that are not hard to find and I guess I don't understand why people save them. I could find you hundreds of old iron items without have to dig them out of the ground only to find them covered in rust. Go to any estate auction and check the trash and the stuff is either given away for $1 for the whole lot of it, or it was thrown out before the auction because it's not worth the time to even auction it off.

If you want an easy way to find them, just find the nearest dumpster where I was detecting at that day, haha. You can usually find a piece or two even though I attempt to not dig iron, but sometimes it does give a good signal.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Romeo...oh Romeo.....Nana loves the iron relics too. ;) And.....it ain't the same if you have to go and purchase them...or if someone just gives them to you! Always exciting not knowing what ya gonna get next. Every find tells a story and every find makes you a better detectorist than the find before. I have found some interesting iron relics and some interesting coins. Love them both! Guess it just depends on each person's style. ....I haven't found a stirrup yet. :'(

Love your iron relics!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread