Backyard Treasure

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to use my Ace 250 but didn't feel like leaving my house. So i decided to just mess around in the backyard. There used to be an Apple Orchard here. I think the age is somewhere between 80 and 100 yearsish. But last year we had to cut down one of the Trees it was rotten on the inside. I decided I would go poke around over there. A dozen or so square nails later I was getting a really strong signal about 8 inches down. I just figured it was a larger square nail, theres so many here. But I was so excited to see this handle sticking out of the ground. When i finally got it out of the dirt. I was elated. It turned out to be a Spoon. The silver plate is gone. But still a very Lovely find for my own backyard. There is a stamp on the back That says "1847 Rogers Bros A1". See picture. Its all bent up, but im very excited. Just thought i would share my newest find with you all. :) Picture 21.jpg Picture 20.jpg

Upvote 1

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
The rush of excitement is worth it, yep. I'm doing the same thing with my yard. Using as a training ground to get my ears tuned. Bet that spoon was put there during a pirate treasure expedition. Some little kid took his mom's silver plated spoon out to dig for the treasure. Like all professional treasure hunters he did not fess up to his mom about the digging site or lost spoon. "What spoon? I didn't see any spoon". <lol>

Merlin

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Zerick......that is a good find. Spoon or coin it is history. Just think about where it came from and when it was made not to mention who may have used it. Just part of the fascination with history that keeps most of us hunting. I can say that I love the old relics from days gone bye as much as the coins. Guess I better say that since I have been on an old coin drought. But enough rambling. No reason to think there is not some more there. Coins, jewelry, pocket watches and the list goes on. Keep us posted and congrats on a good find.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Zerick

Zerick

May 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a great rush. I love the History here. And i make up all kinds of stories of how it got there. Just like Moonrover said about the little kid digging in the back yard. I tend to think of some crazy things about how it got there. In a book I have called "The Comstock Kid" he talks about taking the train to the apple orchards. which are the same trees in my backyard. I just picture him sitting under the apple tree eating enjoying the shade. Ha pretty far fetched. But makes it fun. And I must be in a coin drought as well. Havent found one in quite a while. But its okay. Relics are just as fun for me. Didnt post them but on the same day of finding this spoon i found some scissors from the 50's And a huge 10 inch long 6 inch wide spool thing. next to the old clothes lines. I guess it was what the wire would have been rolled up in. Just rust but I love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread