Bacon and Beans from a Gold Pan

gylnne

Nov 2, 2011
Edna, Kansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I just finished a book anyone interested in gold panning, etc. would enjoy.

Bacon and Beans from a Gold Pan was written in 1972 by Jesse Coffey & George Hoeper

Here's their story:

This little gem of a book chronicles the true story of a young married couple (Jesse and Dot Coffey) who used small-scale placer mining methods to support themselves at the height of the Great Depression during the 1930s.

Jesse and Dot were living in the San Francisco Bay Area when hard times hit and Jesse lost his job as an engineer. Since the Coffeys both had previous experience gold panning and placer mining recreationally in the California Motherlode region, they decided to leave the grim reality of financial uncertainty, unemployment, and soup lines in the big city and head into the Sierra Nevada Mountains to try and make a living as small-scale placer miners. Initially, they worked an area in the Southern Motherlode region along Aqua Fria Creek in Mariposa County. Later, they moved north to work a section of the North Yuba River near Downieville.

Great little book, highly recommend it.

Curtis

Upvote 0

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Fullpan ,.Are you think'n about the mine with the "Buzz-tails "all about the place ? believe that was a drift mine , and the pay gravel was locked up with iron pyrite ,..and/or ? manganese ..:icon_scratch: .Anyway ,. that was some rich gravel ,.. the Ol' timer made a butt load off it ,. then sold the tailings off to the chinese ,..then they ran the gravel for the third time,. and did good !
Joel

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joel, you are right - my bad. Its been a couple years since I read it. One of the main memories I have is toward the end and they were trying to teach
the new kid but ended up sending him off to war and realizing that their wonderful adventure was just about over - just chokes me up. BTW I had
trouble with timber rattlers too - I killed several around my camp the first season, but after that I just gathered them up in a 5-gallon bucket and turned
them loose about two bends downstream.

Last edited:

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great book. I read it about 20 yrs ago when I first became interested in gold panning. Not only was it informative...it was a fun read....I think I read it in one sitting...he was such a good story teller I didn't want to put it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread