Bad day turns sweet with 1666 cob..........

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. My name is Barry and I run the Artifact Detecting Team charity hunts on the south fork of eastern Long Island, NY - hunts we do on colonial era properties all for the benefit of the local historical society. Yesterday, for a change, I was invited to someone else field on the north fork of eastern LI - both forks were settled in the 1640 time frame - I brought along Bob one of the trustees of the historical society and now and avid metal detectorist himself.

This particular field was about 250 yards down from an old Indian fort which is now a national historic site - as you can well imagine I was pretty excited to hunt this property...It was a gorgeous day and we were on the field by 8am. The person who had invited me had assured me that he had permission. Although the signals were scarce, the field was clean and large and I knew that eventually if there was something there we would find it. After about an hour, a guy pulls up in his pickup and starts walking towards me (I was the closest to him) yelling "what the heck are you doing?". Calmly I told him "we're just metal detecting - looking for old buttons and buckles - we have permission to be here, the guy over there, Jim, knows the farmer"...Well this guy proceeds to tell me that he is the farmer, the field we are on is a sod field and we're tearing up his fresh planted seed. You can well imagine that after he went over to have a word with Jim we got off that field in a hurry...

Fast forward to 10am. Bob and myself are back on the south fork at one of my fields. The last time I was on this field was a year ago and although it was a large field, there was a small section that had given up the goods. Bob and I headed straight for that section. In about 15 minutes of gridding a few rows I get a 12-36 signal on my E-Trac. Anyone who has an E-Trac knows that anything over a 30 for conductivity (the second number) is a "better" target such as military button, coppers and silver. Immediately I had a smile on my face wondering what goodie I had. Well I could not believe what I pulled out - the 1666 Spanish cob 1 reale size Potosi mint - WOW - I'm in the 1600's club - Holy s**t - I've found a few milled reales but the cob is amazing. To think - this coin was dropped by one of our earliest settlers - almost 350 years of incredible history and I just saved it.

Well the day may have started on a bad note but sure ended up with a song...

Attachments

• 1666 Spanish cob potosi mint Nov-8-2011c.jpg
    1666 Spanish cob potosi mint Nov-8-2011c.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • 1666 Spanish cob potosi mint Nov-8-2011c.jpg
    1666 Spanish cob potosi mint Nov-8-2011c.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,090

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very nice cob!!!! Good find!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find Barry :icon_thumleft: , you can imagine i wasn't to happy when the sod boss showed and asked us to leave politely of course and he knows me from the market i work at ;D i just wish the 2 farmers doing the field had explained to me its a sod field just before they seeded not winter cover like they said before they gave me permission to hunt but like you told me it was to your benefit , hey next time ask me to go with ya :thumbsup: Jim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Tremendous find.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread