• buck 001.jpg
    buck 001.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 625
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I use an army bayonette. They are tough!
I think you can get them at an army surplus store.
Tough break Al, sounds like one of those days.
I had one of those weeks at work,
so I am hoping the weather holds out so I can get out tomorrow.

Smiles!
BDoo

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bummer. I use a stainless steel trowel, 6 inches long and a
stainless steel knife probe. Am still carefull with the knife. Good luck
in replacing your knife, but if it was me i'd use the stainless steel trowel.

HH< Ringfinder

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it does happen. I've broken 2 shovels. They don't make 'em like they used to. They don't resist prying very well.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i went through about 3 trowels before i bought a lesche predator tool. ive had that for about a year and it hasnt even come close to bending let alone breaking. in my opinion its worth the $30.

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Rusted_Iron said:
Yeah it does happen. I've broken 2 shovels. They don't make 'em like they used to. They don't resist prying very well.

Yeap i know how that is too! The shovel I bought from the PX was made in China.. and I tried to pry out something. Didn't work out too well. Broke the shovel head into 2 pieces :( Now I have 2 shovels, and keep one in the trunk as a spare :)

Good luck on your next hunt!

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

I have a real heavy duty digging tool but i loved using my Buck knife on manicured grass. Nice clean cuts leaves no sign I was digging. Hopefully I can get it replaced soon.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Sorry to hear about the tough luck........now go get another and get back out there......... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you did have a crappy day. But hey, you at least you broke it on a day that it rained! You killed two birds and one knife with one stone! Now you have a reason to buy a K-BAR!!

I use my old K-BAR. Damn good knife. Will never break. Nice tools, though, those combat/survival knives. God love 'em. Can't dig up land mines with it now so I'll just dig up gold mines!!

Better luck next time!!

R

rvbvetter

Check out the Hori Hori knife. Talk about thick and strong whew!!
Lesche is good too. HH

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davesx said:
i use an army folding spade,i think it's called a trench tool.

If your army calls it the same as ours does we called it an entrenching tool or ET for short.

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

Re: Bad day UPDATE

Just received a brand new replacement knife. Same model, different color. The new one is silver with an uncolored aluminum body. Buck is the only knife brand I will ever buy from now on.

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
This is the knife I use. Its very heavy duty and very thick so I can pry with it. I only use it for cutting a plug and I decided on not getting a serrated edge so I wouldn't saw into anything valuable, I have other tools for cutting roots. If this baby breaks i can buy another at Wal-Mart for under $15, but I haven't been able to break it yet!

1339.jpg

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
After breaking my third or fourth garden trowl (welded handel) I went to Lowe's and bought a one piece stainless steel trowl. It's a bit wider at about 3 inches at the top but it has serriated (sp) edges and when I put my weight behind it cuts through the turff easily. Best part I can use it for gardening too. lol Stan...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread