Bad experiences with returning item???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Theres actually a recent post about this. Sometimes people dont appreciate as much as you would hope. I personally would have second thoughts about returning rings. Being young as I am , most would think I had stolen it. :P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
I wouldn't worry about it,you return an item to do a generous and kind thing for someone not to make yourself feel good or at least that shouldn't be your main reason.You can't make people be appreciative,if they are not just let it bounce off of you and move on.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I've only found 2 class rings over the years. Both were silver and both were returned. The first one belonged to the son of a local pastor near where I lived at the time. I returned this one in person.

The second one was a person out of state. Did all the research and tracked them down. I sent them the ring but never even got a thank you letter. It would have been nice of of them to at least send me something to cover the postage and insurance.

Jeff

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Yes, I can see doing the right thing is the thing to do and that you have some in the world that can be less appreciative as we see every day in the news anyway, lol. I just was curious on experiences, as I have not had the opportunity to return one and yes, I do not expect rewards as I would a since thank you of some sort which is not to much to ask. Especially with some of the work some people do to research where the items came from. Oh well go with your heart is the bottom line. Any more stories out there?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know a guy who tracked down the owner of a ring, and called the house. All he got was an answering machine. He left a message to the effect: "I have your ring here, give me a call, so we can discuss getting it back to you" I don't recall the exact way he worded it, but he was brief, figuring he'd go into more detail when they called him back. That night, guess who showed up at his door?? The POLICE!! Turns out the ring had been one of many items stolen in a home robbery just a few weeks earlier. His call was interpretted as some sort of extortion, and he was given no opportunity, nor was he believed anyhow when did try, to explain it was found with a metal detector. The police took the ring and left (presumably to return it to its owner). My friend's family's dinner was ruined, and for weeks, they didn't know if the police were going to return for more questioning (as they didn't know if they were cleared of the robbery suspicion yet). They also never got a thankyou, no-thankyou, or kiss my *ss in return for their efforts to reunite the ring :P

The only bad experience I personally had, was to track down and call a person's house in El Paso, TX, for a class ring from the late 1960s. After being told "that person died in the vietnam war", I decided, in my mind, that maybe the next-of-kin would like the ring back, so I launched into my explanation of how I "had his ring" and "had found it on the beach in CA", etc... The person who had answered the phone grew LIVID with me, repeating "Didn't you hear what I just said?? He died in the Vietnam war! It's impossible that you have his ring! Stop harassing us or we'll call the police on your prank call". You see, they couldn't understand that ... yes, he was gone now, but he had apparently lost it while in basic army training in CA. They just thought I was a practical joke phone call, and slammed the phone down in my ear. I didn't bother anymore with that one, and just kept the ring. But the call was not very fun :(

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had similar experiences where I got lots of hugs and also no thank you.

I have a friend that found a class ring and made arrangements to return it. When he arrived at the house the police were waiting for him. The boy that lost it told his father that it was stolen from his gym locker when in fact he skipped school with a bunch of boys and hit the local swim beach where he really lost the ring. Needless to say the boy finally told the truth and since that day my friend has still found rings but now just keeps all of them for himself. If someone asks him to find one, he'll search and return it if found, but if he doesn't know the previous owner, it's his.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
These incidents are a shame, but I can see them happening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread