Bad Qtr!

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Don't quote me cause I could be full of it and one of us is enough,but I think those are called mis-strikes and do have a higher than normal value. I have aquired a double strike Can. cent and one in a triple strike. That means they have little half moon cuts out of them,one or two in my case. I have no idea what that value might be. Fred

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The mint produces a wide variety of errors from time to time. I can't tell from the photos what the cause of this one is, but I have heard about 'die fills' where the die gets extra grease on it and so the letters don't squeeze up into the die during impact. I've also heard about thin layers of outer metal peeling off for various reasons. A professional coin dealer could tell you more, if you can find one in your neighborhood with a trustworthy reputation. If you hadn't said you got this out of a mint bag, I'd suspect someone had spilled acid all over it or something.

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
I would get that coin in some kind of holder. Mistrikes genneraly are good coins to have. Error coin collectors pay big bucks for the right kinda coins. Nice find.

Doug-Iowa
DJs Detectors

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold on to this coin. The US Mint is in the process of testing and implementing a process from now on that will destroy all error coins and culls from their inventory. Essentially this will make all error coins around now more valuable. I wouldn't sell it yet. If you want to sell it or just find out the value for a few bucks you could list it on ebay. Put a ridiculous reserve on it (something like $2000), then watch what people bid on it. If it doesn't meet this reserve, then you don't have to part with it. This way you will get some idea of what it's value is on the open market and it will only cost you what it takes to list the reserve auction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread