OK here we go again!

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
Only for no value coins

If the coins are not valuable and you just want to clean them up for cash in, white vinegar mixed with salt will eat the crud away but it will also eat away the mint luster so do NOT use this for any coins of value.

HH

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
I'd like to know that myself. I have a couple of quart jars of clad that would be better suited to be cashed in. Thought about trying a tumbler but I don't really know if that will work. Brasso cleans pennies extremely well but that's too time consuming.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bulltab,
Check out the catagory - "Metal Detecting"
Read the heading - "Tumbler" for more info on coin cleaning.
CS 8)

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
Cleaning things like coins and small finds

To all

I have run into the same problem. One thing it is a good problem to have. This tells us you are out finding stuff. Any way what you need is an electrolysis system. You can make your own and here is how.

1. Find in your house a transformer says 6 watt or so. This is the type of thing that we use on plug-ins for calculators. I use a T.I. CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER. The output is DC 6V and Input is AC 120V 60Hz 6W. They are common and are DC.
2. Get a small plastic or glass container like a cooking cup.
3. Baking soda.
4. Take the transformer, cut the wires at the end, and strip the wire back.
5. Note that one will be positive and the other negative. The one with the stripe should be the positive end. But you will want to check it to be sure.
6. Mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of water, (This is non corrosive un-like salt). This is your conductor.
7. Place a stainless steel spoon or knife in the solution with the negative wire on it. I use a steel clip for papers like you get at the office.
8. Place the object you like on the positive end. This will clean the object by way of the ionic method. Keep the object in the solution and not the clip holding it. You must have a metal to metal connection to the wire
9. Watch the object closely, after a time go to the sink, and brush it with a toothbrush.
10. Start with an item you can stand to damage to verify you have the polarity correct (copper penny). The positive end should be the one that bubbles. The gas is CO2.

You will find that this work very well with scum and actually re-builds the object back by forcing the separated atoms back onto the object that has corroded off. The system acts like a car battery in reverse. It is safe and will not scare the object.

You will learn how to do it better when you work at it. It turns the solution black so do not get it on the carpet or the wife will beat you for it.

After a hunt I look forward to the cleaning after to see what I really have.

Let me know how it works. Or if you have questions.

Later

SWalker
)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions