Badger? ( Has been IDed as a Groundhog ) Thanks...

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Badger? ( Has been ID'ed as a Groundhog ) Thanks...

Hello all,,,
Got another critter I need an ID on...
I have lived close to the center of town all my life and have never seen one of these around.
Badger.jpg

The little guy is living under one of my neighbors sheds and has been around for about (2) months now. He is very skidish, but I was finally able to get a few pics of it... I believe it's a Rock Badger, or possibly some other type of badger, but I'm not sure... He's about 1-1/2' feet long and has a tail that is about 6" to 8" inches in length. Seems that with all the new housing developments going up out towards the suburbs that a lot of different animals are coming into the city...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,,,
Thanks,,, Leon...

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Re: Badger?

Hey Leon good morning.

It is indeed a groundhog. Pretty common varment. You see them often along the roads

Dave

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: Badger? ( Has been ID'ed as a Groundhog ) Thanks...

Thanks guys,,,
Looks like you've nailed it... I didn't think they ever got that big, but according to Wikipedia I guess they can get a little bigger than this one... They must not be too common, in my neck of the woods anyway, as I believe this is the first one I have ever seen, other than on TV... Something tells me I should get out more often... ;D

Thanks again,,,
Have a great day, Leon...

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BADGER

Attachments

• badger.jpg
    badger.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 244

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega

You need to get rid of those little b@stards! They are VERY destructive! I shoot, poison, trap, and kill them with implements of destruction. They destroy foundations and, if you are a gardener, will munch on your produce all day long. If you are kinder and gentler, I suggest you live trap them with a slice of water melon as bait. take them out of town a long way......As they have been known to come back. My 5 year old daughter doesnt like me to kill them so she makes me live trap them :-\. I live on the edge of the city so I take them out and dump them on the OTHER SIDE of the ciy limits. They will find a home under someone elses porch that way. I wonder if the people on the other side of town do the same thing? :(

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Now that badger is scary looking.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are a bunch of them around here.
See them a lot in the spring and fall.They are a BIG pest problem and can tunnel the heck out of a foundation.
If you are in Indiana you have a bunch there also.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DONT SCARE THE GROUNDHOGS THEY CAN MAKE WINTER GO LONGER BEFOR YOU CAN DETECT AGAIN......LOL

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

imafishingnutt said:
DONT SCARE THE GROUNDHOGS THEY CAN MAKE WINTER GO LONGER BEFOR YOU CAN DETECT AGAIN......LOL

lol,, hows it go,, if he sees his shadow it will be longer?, or shorter?.. If it's longer maybe I should just follow him around with an umbrella... ;D

And Wow!!! imafishingnutt,,, if that's what a badger looks like, I sure am glad what we have here turned out to be a groundhog... ;D

Haven't seen any damage caused by this little guy yet, but I believe he's only been around a few months. If I did anything to him, it would have to be only to catch him and release him somewhere he's not going to cause a problem.. He's too cute to kill...

That's what I have read recently, but I just find it hard to believe. As I stated above, this is the first one I have ever seen in person and for a city boy I do get out to the country every now and then...

We'll have to see what the little guy does and take it from there...
Thanks for the replies all,

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leon said:
imafishingnutt said:

lol,, hows it go,, if he sees his shadow it will be longer?, or shorter?.. If it's longer maybe I should just follow him around with an umbrella... ;D

And Wow!!! imafishingnutt,,, if that's what a badger looks like, I sure am glad what we have here turned out to be a groundhog... ;D

Haven't seen any damage caused by this little guy yet, but I believe he's only been around a few months. If I did anything to him, it would have to be only to catch him and release him somewhere he's not going to cause a problem.. He's too cute to kill...

That's what I have read recently, but I just find it hard to believe. As I stated above, this is the first one I have ever seen in person and for a city boy I do get out to the country every now and then...

We'll have to see what the little guy does and take it from there...
Thanks for the replies all,
yeah i wouldnt try to pet a badger they are very meen and will attack.
they can kill a dog like a german shephard easy

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

Farmers despise them. I remember my grandfather always had his rifle in his truck as did most of the farmers in the area. This was in western PA. Anytime he would see one in a field he would stop, get out and shoot it. I also remember when they really got out of hand on a farm, the farmers would get together with their shotguns, Some of them would light road flares and stick them down some of the gopher holes and rest would stand by the other holes with their shotguns and wait for them to come out.
Then they would put the dead ones in burlap bags. I don't remember what they did with them then. I also remember my uncle shooting one in the field across from the house. He left it there for about a week, went back and it was hard from laying in the sun. He took it up on the hill in the field, pounded a stake in the ground and nailed the thing to the stake. Other farmers would drive by, see it, get out and shoot it but is just stayed there. My uncle thought this was hilarious. We would be inside looking out the window just laughing our a$$ off. I was bout 7 at the time and he was about 22.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

love that avatar..that is really funny!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread