bag dilemma, solved with a great find!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So my biggest dump bank is getting rid of all their coin counters next month - extremely depressing, as I was able to dump $2k - $3k per week easily. Still working on a replacement dump strategy, but figured it's time to throw caution to the winds, so I started buying bags from the branches I don't dump at. So far I've had zero luck with dime and quarter bags, but have found at least 1 war nickel per bag, and cent bags have been average in copper (27%), but above average in wheats (18/bag). I've kind of stocked up on a few nickel bags and several cent bags, to go through when I have time after the coin counters are removed.

Last week, I went in to see what bags were available from my main branch, and they said they had $350 in cent bags! I figured surely this had to reflect a massive zinc dump, but as I had already agreed to buy a cent bag I took it anyway. Last night I started going through it, and to my surprise again it contained about the same ratio of copper. I got about 20% through the bag last night, finding only 1 wheat, then just before quitting for the night, I found this:

Indian obverse.jpg Indian reverse.jpg

My first Indian head cent in 4.5 years! :hello2: And only the 5th one I've ever found!

The 1893 is in Good condition at best, and has what appears to be a major scratch on the reverse; I thought it might be a die crack, as it appeared to go under the letters, but I think it was scratched early, and was worn off the high points later. Still, not going to complain about a 124 year old coin!

Now I'm thinking I've got to go back and hope they haven't shipped all the bags out. I may have to dip into my bankroll to get all the bags I can before they're unavailable.

I still can't believe this made it through the coin counter. I've found many early wheats in the reject bins; to think an Indian made it is beyond belief. And I've still got most of the bag to go through. Crossing my fingers!

Happy Hunting!

FT

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score on the 1800's IH!
FT, $2k-3k per week? Now I know why they're eliminating the counters -

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
You are very lucky. I've hunted easily over half a million pennies of coins and I've never got an Indian. You make me jealous. :BangHead: Good find though :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
FT, $2k-3k per week? Now I know why they're eliminating the counters -

Not really. I either spread out my dumps between several branches, or more recently use one of their monster machines, which takes 30,000 coins to fill. I always keep the tellers & managers happy. From what I hear, this is a corporate decision, based on that Dateline hit piece a few years ago about coin counters routinely shorting people.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You are very lucky. I've hunted easily over half a million pennies of coins and I've never got an Indian. You make me jealous. :BangHead: Good find though :icon_thumright:

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll admit I've been lucky when it comes to IHC's. Found one the very first time I CRH'ed, which got me hooked. Over 6 years, I've averaged about 1 IHC per roughly every 100,000 searched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions