Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found:
4 buttons marked: Virginia Sic Semper Tyrannis; on back: Waterbury Co's Conn
4 buttons: Eagle and stars; on back: Superior Quality
1 button: Anchor and 3 Stars; on back: Firmin & Sons, London
1 button: Profile of man. Text: "Docendo Discimus Exnihilo Nihil Fit" which translated means: "We learn by teaching. Out of nothing comes nothing." Your feedback welcome!
dscn0218.jpg dscn0220.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you over-paid...lol

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
The majority of those buttons are definite reproductions but there may be 1 that is real. I'm not an expert though.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Reproductions are $ 2-3 apiece on some sites I was looking at earlier today. I am not convinced those are repro's though. If they were modern made, would they have the manufacture's backmark? I hope some military button collectors chime in and comment on your find. I just bought three groups of military buttons from ebay sellers. Two lots were pretty good with mostly common G.S. types. One lot was mixed, with some decent looking items, but the backs were a little strange. A couple were plain backs, and I believe these are what is called "Fashion Buttons". They look like military buttons at first glance, but were made to jazz up civilian jackets, etc.. Whatever they prove to be, I think you got a good deal for a quarter! :D Probably $25-30 on ebay.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think by looking at the eyes on the back repro

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked to find reproductions of these exact buttons to compare construction but didn't see any that were not authentic. Only a historical button expert would know. At any rate, they are a sweet find.

LuckOfTheIrish

Jan 28, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
For 25 cents that group of buttons is a great find. Hopefully I can help provide some information for you on the buttons you have. The top row of Virginia buttons are VA 26B as listed in Albert's Record of American Uniform And Historical Buttons. These buttons are listed as RV 1 and the Waterbury Co's backmark dates to post 1965. The second row of US Marine Corp buttons can be identified as MC 14 in Albert's book and can be dated to 1900's to present based upon the Superior Quality backmark. As for the Anchor I have had no luck in looking up that button but hopefully something will turn up soon. Hope this helps!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I believe the guy on the small button is King George V, reigned 1910-36. See his image on coins for comparison.

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The information is extremely helpful in that I have no experience with old buttons. Many thx!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread