Bag of SIlver Coins near Prue, Oklahoma

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excerpted and condensed from "Tragedies of the Osage Hills" by Arthur H. Lamb, known as "The Sage of the Osage."

On the morning of October 12th, 1912, Just after J. Harvey Comer, of Prue, in the Southeast part of the Osage country, on the banks of the Arkansas River, had opened his bank for business he had a customer who proceeded to negotiate a loan in the most approved Jesse James style. The bandit took the entire assets of the bank in a sack and then forced Harvey to carry a heavy bag of silver about half a mile to where the robber's horse was tied in dense timber. The previous night a horse was stolen from Harry Burk's ranch between Tulsa and Prue on the north side of the Arkansas River. Burk and a neighbor were out looking for the horse, thinking it might have strayed, when they saw it being ridden by a stranger right toward them where they stood at a crossroads. The rider said he had bought the horse and was smiling and friendly, which threw them off their guard. Then the rider suddenly pulled a sixgun and began firing at the two men. Burk reached out and yanked on the horse's bridle, spooking it and causing it to raise its head and take the bullet intended for Burk. Burk pulled his Winchester and shot the rider, who fell to the ground and died. They had just found that the rider was carrying around $2,000 when the posse from Prue showed up and told the rest of the story. The rider, who was later identified as the notorious Frank Jarrett, did not have the heavy bag of silver in his possession, so it thought that he had stopped along the way and hidden or buried the coins. There is no record of the silver ever having been found.

Perhaps some wise treasure hunter can research the matter and find out where Burk's ranch was located in 1912 and then use intuition or old newspaper reports to locate the crossroads where Jarrett was killed, so as to backtrack Jarrett and locate the silver coins.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post, but thought I would update it. for those not familiar with this area, it is now located underneath a manmade lake.

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
wooly country. Part of old Prue is under water, part isn't. Story doesn't put loot in city limits anyhow. Do more research.
-bill-

fozzyb65

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2011
Tulsa, OK
That's interesting Rocky, but I never knew you were interested in more treasure than that killer piano you play. We should get together on this. ANDY

shannonknight

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2013
prue okla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site but I have to say I am so glad I signed up. I live on a oil field lease near prue. I would love to hear more of the history of prue . for that matter the history of osage co. I was told our lease sits where the town of wild horse used to be. I have found several old med bottles and other stuff. if

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread