BAGS!! How do I get them?

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've called several different banks and different branches of said banks and everyone says "No, we can't sell the bags." They just flat out refuse. Does anybody have any tricks in getting these or do I just need to keep dialing different numbers? BBH = Bank Bag Hunting..... Any info would be helpful cause I got lucky at one bank where I know the teller personally, she just handed it right over for cash.....pulled 20 silvers out of it, WAY better than boxed! (I'm talking about halves, but I ask for "any bags from the machine).

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There aren't any "tricks" that I know of. Some banks will not, under any circumstances, sell bags off the machine. No amount of persuasion or bribery (I once offered to move a 6 figure CD to a bank for bag buying privileges - didn't work) will change their minds. Occasionally, they will sell bags off the machine, but only if they are full. Rarely (but it does happen), they will simply pull the bag and sell it to you on the spot. All you can do is ask.

td31

Jun 27, 2011
For me just luck. I went into a branch this week I haven't been too and asked for $450 in dimes. They said we have $200 rolled and $250 in that bag over there. Now I can get bags all the time from them

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to ask really, really nicely...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply trial and error. I buy a lot of bags, but they are usually $500 bags of customer-rolled coin that the bank will be shipping out with their armored service. Lots of banks in my area, but very few coin counters.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
As with previous posts--it's trial and error and no tricks or boxes of chocolates will make them change their minds. Certain banks have strict policies about selling bags and some do not. I have 2 banks that will sell me bags and that was on their asking me if I wanted bags as I kept buying boxes every week.

The potential for huge finds in a bag are much greater than boxes, but so far, they have not produces any better than boxes.

Good luck
MU

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
As everyone has said, it is mostly just at the will of the bank. If they say "no, we aren't allowed to sell the bags" it is generally futile to try to persuade them and you risk souring any other relationship you might have with them if you are pushy about it. If they say "no, because the bag is not full," your two options are:

1) Give them your # and have them promise to call you when it is full. This is the two birds in the bush approach. Whatever good stuff is in the bag might be yours someday and any more good stuff in the wild that makes it into the bag to fill it might be yours some day. This one requires patience and perseverance - you need to check back every 2wk or so to make sure they haven't lost your #, but only until they really get the message, then once per mo.

2) Tell them that you have just enough coins to finish filling the bag and ask if you can top off the bag and buy it. Tell them that this works good for you because you really only wanted about $1000 worth anyway and you already have $300, so this would be perfect. This is the bird in the hand approach and is good for that quick fix.

If they say "no, we have someone who takes the bags," then BACK OFF and respect the efforts of the CRH'er who beat you to that bush. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread