May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out this morning and hit a sale that had a lot of interesting old things. They had silverware in 3 zip-lock bags and there was nothing real interesting in the first two but in the third I saw a familiar, eye catching site.

DSC01045.JPG

DSC01046.JPG

They stand out like a sore thumb if you know what to look for. They have a completely different look than stainless so just look for something that just looks a little different. They are almost always marked sterling too.

DSC01052.JPG

DSC01050.JPG

The rest are a very nice pattern that will get me at least 5 to 10 times my money back. (Have you checked the price of nice silverware)

DSC01054.JPG

DSC01053.JPG

This is the third time in 5 weeks that I have found sterling mixed in with regular silverware. Keep your eyes open when you see bulk silverware and you might be surprised what you might find.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I always check the boxes and bags of silverware for Sterling, also learn what the British Sterling hallmark looks like, the lion passant. a good thing to know. Great finds!.........Scott.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I always check the boxes and bags of silverware for Sterling, also learn what the British Sterling hallmark looks like, the lion passant. a good thing to know. Great finds!.........Scott.

I've been starting to check more and more recently. I've only found one piece and that was very recently. And it is not marked for sterling. It's a butter knife that is marked stainless on the blade and nothing on the handle. I've always checked and found some pieces that "looked" sterling, but were always marked otherwise or were magnetic. This knife's handle is what I spotted due to its tone and faded design. Took the magnet to the handle and .. no attraction! Picked it up for 10 cents and acid tested when I got home. It's the real deal!

IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG

Pretty sure the thrift stores in my area are too smart about sterling in general to let it slip by, but I got lucky on this one.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been starting to check more and more recently. I've only found one piece and that was very recently. And it is not marked for sterling. It's a butter knife that is marked stainless on the blade and nothing on the handle. I've always checked and found some pieces that "looked" sterling, but were always marked otherwise or were magnetic. This knife's handle is what I spotted due to its tone and faded design. Took the magnet to the handle and .. no attraction! Picked it up for 10 cents and acid tested when I got home. It's the real deal!

View attachment 949165
View attachment 949167

Pretty sure the thrift stores in my area are too smart about sterling in general to let it slip by, but I got lucky on this one.
Sometimes the Hallmarks or makers mark is completely worn off, so recognising that black tarnish is key to making a score! Also I defineatly know what you mean about TS's & GW's knowing what to look for, they miss nothing when it comes to PM's here!.....Goodluck!.................Scott.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it when that happens! Not all flatware are created equal or sell as well as others. You should definitely get your money back from that set and hopefully a lot more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread