Bags

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to buy 1/2 dollar bags off the machines from the banks in my area. None of them seem willing to part with them. Sure they'll let me order all the boxes I want, but I've been down that road. I want those machine finds.

Those of you that have been able to get these glory bags how did you do it? "Mr. Drysdale" says he can't sell them to me. Should I try corporate? It is a small regional bank only about 250 branches.

Could really use some help with this. Thanks

Upvote 0

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Well to be quite honest, I work at the bank, that makes it much easier for sure. What I would suggest, is finding a friend that works in the chain. Ask around to your friends and ask them if they know anyone in the bank, because even as a teller, I have pull on stuff like that to a certain extent. Thats my only suggestion dude. Keep on keepin on!

JJ :coffee2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
JJTheisen said:
Well to be quite honest, I work at the bank, that makes it much easier for sure. What I would suggest, is finding a friend that works in the chain. Ask around to your friends and ask them if they know anyone in the bank, because even as a teller, I have pull on stuff like that to a certain extent. Thats my only suggestion dude. Keep on keepin on!

JJ :coffee2:
Excellent suggestion. Thats how I manage to dump $500 bags of coin at a CU, I could also buy bagged coin there, but it's only one or the other! FFD

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I think for the most part the decision is left up to the manager of each branch. I have some places where I can get the bags off the machine, and at another branch of the same bank they say they can't do it.

The usual excuse not to: 1. We have to send them off to the Fed. (Generally BS)
2. We cannot give it to you because the count may be off, either in your favor or in our favor, so we have to send them to be counted. (Generally true)

Where I get them they just take the bag off, and I trade them another canvas bag and I go home. I like it this way. I sometimes find dollar coins, foreign, etc. Sometimes pennies, dimes, etc.

I like the fact that nobody touches or even sees the coins before I get them.

Best bet is to get the manager to say yes, then you are in. You have to really use sales techniques sometimes to get them to say yes. I have had a no turn into a yes upon successful pleading and begging. I never bring in gifts or treats though, since I think that sets a precedent where you have to do that all the time or they will get mad.

Jim

OP
OP
47thelement

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the fact that nobody touches or even sees the coins before I get them.

another problem here is...the machines around here all use the clear plastic bags.

I'm liking the suggestions...keep 'em coming. I'm gonna get a bag some day!

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
well said, jim4silver! you hit the nail on the head. good sales techniques are a MUST to buy bags straight from the machines.

develop good inter-personal relationships with the tellers, bring them chocolates/treats when you pick up or dump (believe me...that works, especially at the dump banks!). Then, after a while, ask the head teller about buying bags from the machine. if you've established a good relationship with the teller(s), they may go to the manager directly. that's what happened to me. i asked early on and the answer was no but a few months later i asked again. that time the tellers went to the manager on my behalf and the answer came back yes.

it's been my experience that the tellers are our best friends, regardless of the few unpleasant ones we run into on occasion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread