Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280-X, Excalibur 1000,
Treasure Hunter Aqua Vision Pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
d5fe2c78886e11e383070ea72d1523a0_5.jpg

We have been going to Eleuthera since 1972, recently my two sons found something interesting, two old anchors, silver spoon, old gin bottles, ornate eo's.
They were to big to electrolysize, plus we had to leave in a couple days. Will they be alright out of water if encrusted?

I'm new to this site, but I'll try to post a pic.

OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was only visiting when we found them, If I lived there I would of made a electrolysis tank. Was just wondering what will happen in 8 months?
Hey Auquanut do you know of any wrecks on Eleuthera, caribean side?

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're artifacts will be trash before then. The metal is corroded and filled with salt molecules. As is dries, that salt with re-crystalize, expand, and the item will almost completely disintegrate. Congrats on destroying artifacts!

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pick a wreck, there are plenty.

Underwater Sites - ProjectEleuthera.org

Those objetcs should have already been in water. Have someone put them is water for you if at all possible.

2 Shipwrecks
2.1 The Devil's Backbone
2.1.1 USS Boston (Devil's Backbone, 1846)
2.1.2 Carnarvon (Devil's Backbone, 1916)
2.1.3 Cienfuegos (Devil's Backbone, 1895)
2.1.4 Farmer (Devil's Backbone, 1842)
2.1.5 Train Wreck (Devil's Backbone, 1865)
2.1.6 Vanaheim (Devil's Backbone, 1969)
2.1.7 William (Devil's Backbone, 1648)
2.2 Egg Island Area
2.2.1 Adele Ball (Spanish Wells or Harbour Island, 1899)
2.2.2 Arimoroa (Egg Island, 1970)
2.2.3 Arthur McArdle (Egg Island Reef, 1904)
2.2.4 Francis Stanton (Russell Island, 1844)
2.2.5 Margaret M. Ford (Egg Island Reef, 1916)
2.2.6 Robert (Egg Island, 1816)
2.2.7 Santa Rosa (Egg Island, 1821)
2.2.8 Stephen Phillips (Egg Island Reef, 1842)
2.2.9 Surprise (Southwest Reef between Egg Island and Current Rock, 1994)
2.2.10 Two Sisters (Royal Island, 1791)
2.3 James Point
2.3.1 Atlantic Pearl (James Point, 1979)
2.3.2 Barge 264 (Floated then scuttled, 1999)
2.3.3 SS Blenheim (James Point, 1882)
2.3.4 Gangmar (James Point, 1977)
2.3.5 General Colocotronis (Floated then scuttled, 1968)
2.3.6 USS LST 291 (Salvaged, 1954)
2.3.7 Neptune (James Point, 1818)
2.4 Miscellaneous
2.4.1 Advance (North Eleuthera, 1914)
2.4.2 Baltic (Eleuthera, 1866)
2.4.3 Bernardo (Eleuthera, 1943)
2.4.4 Birmingham (Ellison's Reef, Harbour Island, 1843)
2.4.5 Commerce (Harbour Island, 1846)
2.4.6 Conck (Unknown, 1813)
2.4.7 Eolus (Unknown, 1824)
2.4.8 Fame (Harbour Island, 1817)
2.4.9 J. P. Ellicott (Eleuthera, 1866)
2.4.10 John Hale (North Eleuthera, 1843)
2.4.11 John R. Plater (Eleuthera, 1866)
2.4.12 Jonathan Knight (Atlantic side off Banks Road, early 1900's)
2.4.13 The Live Oak (Harbour Island, 1824)
2.4.14 Margaret and Jessie (Eleuthera, 1863)
2.4.15 Ocean Maid (Wreck Point, 1940's)
2.4.16 Rinaldo (Unknown, 1841)
2.4.17 Saga (Atlantic side, south of the Glass Window, 1960's)
2.4.18 Swallow (North Eleuthera, 1816)
2.4.19 Unknown American brigantine (Unknown, 1702)
2.4.20 Yungay (Unknown, 1928)
2.4.21 Zelma Rose/Unknown wreck (Six Schilling Cay, 1952)
3 Cenotes (a.k.a. Ocean Holes or Blue Holes)
3.1 Ocean Hole (Rock Sound)
3.2 Boiling Hole (Rock Sound)
3.3 Ocean Hole (James Cistern)
3.4 Fisher's Pond (Gregory Town)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mph200 Wow! Thanks for all those shipwrecks! I will call my friend and have him place the anchors in fresh water till I get back. Thanks again.
Looks like I have some research to do.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mph200 Wow! Thanks for all those shipwrecks! I will call my friend and have him place the anchors in fresh water till I get back. Thanks again.
Looks like I have some research to do.

If you use the link there are stories to go with the wrecks. Quite a few not identified.

OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks again MPH200, I'll check them out...I do feel bad about the anchors, but I couldn't tell my kids to throw them back after how excited they were. My good friend lives there in Eleuthera and can get them into water. We explored devils backbone when we were there, but only on the beach there must be lots of wrecks out there.
I did find a old silver ring.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper wire seems to work ok for electrodes, at least it will last longer than putting clips into your electrolysis solution. I always did mine as shown in older treasure articles with direct current, not sure if you guys in shiowreck salvage do it the same way.

OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Red. . . do you mean wrap copper -wire around the anchor and +copper wire around steel plate in bath?
I was trying to figure out what I could use to put the anchors in. . .maybe a large wooden box with large plastic liner?
A big plastic trash can might work. I was on vacation when we found them and wasn't really set up for electrolysis.

liverock

May 23, 2008
Use a container that holds the least amount of freshwater...and the water needs to drip...so it is replenished continually....and over flows....use some rebar for the sacrifice metal...attach negative to the rebar...and positive to the artifact...make sure you have good electrical connections...I use c-clamps and hose clamps...and very low amperage...like two amps...small battery charger works fine... IMG_0811.JPG IMG_0814.JPG and get the rebar as close the the artifact as possible....

the positive is connected to the barrel in this conservation...takes months to do it right.....too much current is not a good thing...more water flow the better...
IMG_0806.JPG

OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Liverock and everyone for the great information I will carry this with me and teach my 2 kids to respect the history they retreive.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I was only visiting when we found them, and I hid them in my back yard. If I lived there I would of made a electrolysis tank. Was just wondering what will happen in 8 months? We actually own a house close to Bonnie (Bird of Piety find) and her mom at Rainbow Cove. Hey Auquanut do you know of any wrecks on Eleuthera, caribean side?

No, Just three in the Gingerbreads.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Red. . . do you mean wrap copper -wire around the anchor and +copper wire around steel plate in bath? I was trying to figure out what I could use to put the anchors in. . .maybe a large wooden box with large plastic liner? A big plastic trash can might work. I was on vacation when we found them and wasn't really set up for electrolysis.

Ok, simple as possible explanation. I live inland away from salt water. Here I might use it for a few smaller type finds which will fit into a plastic coffee jar. None of these objects have been exposed to salt. But some salt is added to the water for electrolysis. If you would connect the wires to an electrical clip, put the clip directly on a coin and clip the other to metal submerged into the water, one or both of the clips will slowly dissolve away. To solve this problem, the clips were kept out of the water and clipped to solid copper wires.

One of the wires could be bent to lay the coin on, you could shape it for holding coins. Solid copper (not multi-strand) for some reason lasted much longer than some other metals. Rebar as suggested by Liverock is thick and should last a long time on large artifact electrolysis work.

Encrusted salt water artifacts contain salt, maybe you don't need to add any, if water is kept to a minimum. For electric current I went to Radio Shack to get a 6/12 volt AC into DC current power source. That probably might be an overkill for the long slow process needed on shipwreck artifacts, not sure what the amps are from it.

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I add baking soda to the water to assist the current flow.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawkins, whether you use baking soda or salt, wrapping the copper wire around the anchor might be a good idea.....then use rebar or steel plate for the other electrode (but don't want to get the rebar touching the wire wrapped anchor).

If you use salt, seawater already contains some, just add a little more to the water. I would change your electrolysis solution after it becomes discolored or cloudy looking. Here putting some of the water about a third full in a plastic coffee or other clear bottle, for inspection (dump back in electrolysis basin if still fairly clear). You can tell it is time to change the water because it will become yucky dirty looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hawkins

Greenie
Mar 9, 2014
PA, DE, FL, BS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Red, How long will it take . . .2 months?. . .I watched on youtube how they do it, but they never told any time frame. They dip it in wax after its done?
I wish I would of found gold seems alot easier lol.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the gold ever get really encrusted? If so you'll most likely need electrolysis, but not on gold plated or gilded artifacts. Especially gilded artifacts you need to consult the experts or have it ruined. How long it takes depends on the size of the object and amount it is encrusted. Then the voltage/amps used is a factor also.

There is an acid solution Gatorboy uses that can be swaved on also for certain type of artifacts. Gold artifacts like coins that need only a little cleaning, you probably could soak them in a mixture of half white vinegar and water. Put a small amount of fine sifted white beach sand in the bottom of the container. Kind of swirl it around a couple times, but wait 1-2 days first. Pure gold artifacts or nuggets you must be very careful with, I would say don't do much swirling in the sand on bottom.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I didn't read every post.. So please forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I did see one post speaking of using rebar as a sacrificial anode.
There's something important about the anode that is it needs to be a more noble metal then the artifact being treated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions