Bahamas Press: American Arrested for looting Spanish galleon.

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bahamas Press: American arrested for looting Spanish galleon.
Posted Today at 10:54:59 AM Quote Modify Remove

From Bahamas Press

http://bahamaspress.com/2011/02/26/...of-looting-sunken-spanish-galleon-in-bahamas/

Also, athough not mentioned in the above article and thus not officialy confirmed: Reliable sources residing in the Bahamas also state that a covert treasure hunting vessel which had removable modular blowers which could be dismantled and hidden in the hold under the engines to avoid being seen by any inspectors and then later reassembled under water for use and which vessel was even painted with slanted white stripes on both sides of the bow to resemble a US Coast Guard cutter to further deceive observers from afar, etc, a million dollar water front house owned by suspect which was said to have been found to be full of years of accumulated treasures and artifacts, astrolabes, etc.. all suspected of being recovered from the south east trail of the Maravillas wreck scatter and even a twin engine airplane kept at West End, were also seized or impounded pending outcome of the investigation.

Seems that with Tinker's removal late last year that yet another personal Bahamas saga has also drawn to a close

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Naturally, they will do the right thing and throw those artifacts back into the ocean so they can be 'preserved' on the sea floor and returned to their status as "underwater cultural heritage".

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan said:
Naturally, they will do the right thing and throw those artifacts back into the ocean so they can be 'preserved' on the sea floor and returned to their status as "underwater cultural heritage".
No they can put them in a Museum so we can all see them, so they can be preserved for our children, children to see them.
Ossy

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
No they can put them in a Museum so we can all see them, so they can be preserved for our children, children to see them.
Ossy

Maybe they should include a small plaque articulating their position...

"If it were up to us, we would've left these things in the drink. Heritage belongs on the ocean floor and not in this museum"

That way, the public can see the artifacts and weigh their position in that context.

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.neuvilleboatworks.com/photo_gallery/mv_ella_warley/index.html

This appears to have been the vessel used by the suspect. While I am not an expert in how the the legal system works in the Bahamas it is easy to imagine that upon completion of legal processes and upon any convictions or forfeitures of property determined to have been used in the furtherance of a crime, as in our own country, that someone should subsequently be able to get a good deal on this vessel at a Bahamian government auction.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Patrimony said:
While I am not an expert in how the the legal system works in the Bahamas it is easy to imagine that upon completion of legal processes and upon any convictions or forfeitures of property determined to have been used in the furtherance of a crime, as in our own country, that someone should subsequently be able to get a good deal on this vessel at a Bahamian government auction.

That is the longest sentence I have ever seen, bravo!

I'm thinking if you're living in the Bahamas and planning to pirate a wreck, wouldn't you choose something a little lower key than the Maravillas?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Isn't Rule #1 of criminal activity: don't keep the stuff in the house where you live, since the first search warrant issued is always on the residence? That's basically compiling all the evidence from the 999 times you got away with it and ensuring it's there to incriminate you, the one time you get caught.

Does the Bahamas allow for lawful salvage permits on stuff like this? If so, I don't have much sympathy for this guy...

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrimony said:
Bahamas Press: American arrested for looting Spanish galleon.
Posted Today at 10:54:59 AM Quote Modify Remove

From Bahamas Press

http://bahamaspress.com/2011/02/26/...of-looting-sunken-spanish-galleon-in-bahamas/

Also, athough not mentioned in the above article and thus not officialy confirmed: Reliable sources residing in the Bahamas also state that a covert treasure hunting vessel which had removable modular blowers which could be dismantled and hidden in the hold under the engines to avoid being seen by any inspectors and then later reassembled under water for use and which vessel was even painted with slanted white stripes on both sides of the bow to resemble a US Coast Guard cutter to further deceive observers from afar, etc..named "Ella Warley III", a million dollar water front house owned by suspect which was said to have been found to be full of years of accumulated treasures and artifacts, astrolabes, etc.. all suspected of being recovered from the south east trail of the Maravillas wreck scatter and even a twin engine airplane kept at West End, were also seized or impounded pending outcome of the investigation.

Seems that with Tinker's removal late last year that yet another personal Bahamas saga has also drawn to a close

Patrimony,
How could you decently use my picture for your post with this FALSE annotation saying that it comes from the Maravillas loot !!!

See http://www.oceantreasures.org (part of the treasures recovered from the Pollux (1841)

You could have, at least, ask me if you could use it !!

OP
OP
P

Patrimony

May 30, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo came from Marx with attached Bahamas article he sent to those on his mailing list and I received it forwarded from him to me in that manner. Ask him why he mailed it out to everyone along with said info? P

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: Big Deal! Seems to me it's kind of like catching drug runners. They get one and make a big deal of it while 999 more do it and don't get caught. :tongue3: Throw one to the politicians and local constabulary and make them look like hero's. Meantime there are many others getting away with it. Pirates number in the thousands or even more. How many watercops does it take to catch them all? There are more important jobs out there for the lawmen. One good ploy would be to have someone on watch who would contact someone twenty miles away when he saw a cop and have a mayday call go out. The cop then has more pressing business than checking out someone suspected of wrongdoing. Of course, that's against the law to so who is wrong? Who does the cop go after? Someone suspected of wrongdoing or someone who may be in danger of drowning?
Hey, it isn't a fake call. If there is a sinking speedboat with a family aboard they would never suspect a phony call. :tongue3:
Now, how much loot was recovered? How much was brought up? how do you prove what the tally is and what was really found? Which politician or official suddenly got rich, bought a new car or house? I sure wouldn't keep the best finds where they could be recovered. All you could catch me with would be what was still coming up from the bottom and what was still on the boat. Maybe a drop box built into the cargo hold that released on comand could drop all but the very few artifacts in hand when boarded or caught coming up from the wreck. You can not be charged for treasure laying on the sea bottom. If they can not see you drop it you never had it.

Think it through, how easy is it to get away with it and how hard is it to catch someone who has a plan? This guy just got careless or greedy. Simple as that. Pirates leave on the tide me Hearties! :icon_pirat:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Feather said:
:laughing9: Big Deal! Seems to me it's kind of like catching drug runners. They get one and make a big deal of it while 999 more do it and don't get caught. :tongue3: Throw one to the politicians and local constabulary and make them look like hero's. Meantime there are many others getting away with it. Pirates number in the thousands or even more. How many watercops does it take to catch them all? There are more important jobs out there for the lawmen. One good ploy would be to have someone on watch who would contact someone twenty miles away when he saw a cop and have a mayday call go out. The cop then has more pressing business than checking out someone suspected of wrongdoing. Of course, that's against the law to so who is wrong? Who does the cop go after? Someone suspected of wrongdoing or someone who may be in danger of drowning?
Hey, it isn't a fake call. If there is a sinking speedboat with a family aboard they would never suspect a phony call. :tongue3:
Now, how much loot was recovered? How much was brought up? how do you prove what the tally is and what was really found? Which politician or official suddenly got rich, bought a new car or house? I sure wouldn't keep the best finds where they could be recovered. All you could catch me with would be what was still coming up from the bottom and what was still on the boat. Maybe a drop box built into the cargo hold that released on comand could drop all but the very few artifacts in hand when boarded or caught coming up from the wreck. You can not be charged for treasure laying on the sea bottom. If they can not see you drop it you never had it.

Think it through, how easy is it to get away with it and how hard is it to catch someone who has a plan? This guy just got careless or greedy. Simple as that. Pirates leave on the tide me Hearties! :icon_pirat:

R A W R!!!!! :icon_salut: :whip2: :glasses12:

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The article lists the name as Alex Gardiner, could this be Alan Gardner. would like to hear a legitimate responce .

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrimony said:
Photo came from Marx with attached Bahamas article he sent to those on his mailing list and I received it forwarded from him to me in that manner. Ask him why he mailed it out to everyone along with said info? P

Ok. Thanks for this explanation Patrimony. Could you please forward me his message with email so I can respond to him...

REALESALVAGE

Jun 25, 2010
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, Pulse 8, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is exactly why I am Not, and Never will I Ever be a Pirate! I only wish to do real business under Legimitate Contracts, for the search and recovery of Real Treasure...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are pirating legally then you are also a privateer.

The Spaniards of Cuba and Puerto Rico sent out pirates who captured American ships, murdered their crews, and nearly brought on a war between the United States and the two Spanish colonies. Congress denounced this piracy in 1822, and in 1823 and 1824 it dispatched a strong naval squadron to suppress the pirates. By 1827 piracy had ended on all U.S. coasts.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Patrimony, thank you for posting all this.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Alex Gardiner was a fugitive from USA justice and he was only 90 miles away.Someone wasnt doin their job here or they let him go.Something fishy is goin on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions