Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the shots of Momma Cass with her jaw dropped, that was really the 1st time that Joplin [and Hendrix] exploded on the scene.
If I could beam back in time I think I'd rather go to Monterey than Woodstock.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could beam back in time I think I'd rather go to Monterey than Woodstock.
Saw Janis live sitting at the foot of the stage- she was a force that mesmerized.
Monterey was the 1967 Alpha that brought the San Francisco scene out of SF-Grateful Dead, Country Joe & the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, and the Electric Flag, and had a mixed group of musical genres from Johnny Rivers to Hugh Masakala , Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Eric Burdon & the Animals to Ravi Shanker.
Then there were the other LA groups (the promoters were Lou Adler and John Phillips} Mamas & Papas, Byrds ( David Crosby's rant about the Kennedy assignation got him kicked out of the Byrds, and he later played that day with the Sprigfield), Buffalo Springfield, Association who opened the festival with "Enter The Young" , and Lou Rawls, Otis Redding, and Simon & Garfunkel.
While Woodstock was the omega of that time period in many ways, Monterey held all the excitement of a new musical era to come.
...and George Harrison and Brian Jones walked freely among the audience.
"Three days of understanding, a movement of one another, even the cops grooved with us"- MONTEREY/ Eric Burdon & the Animals
That was Monterey.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dammit Jeff now I got that song stuck in my head, I was mumbling it in my garage till I stopped and thought, WTF are you trying to sing ?
Then it hit me, Ball and Chain. I doubt if I know 1 word in the song besides the refrain but I sure know the melody - And that to me is the mark of a great song.

I've always liked Janis, I play guitar and Booby McGee is one of my fav songs to do on the acoustic. [Fun Fact: Joplin is 1 of only 2 artist that had a #1 single that was released after their death - Otis Redding was the other]. She died literally like a week before it was released, I think it would have been huge anyhow but no doubt her death added to its popularity, same with Otis.
Most guys think she was an ugly skank, I think she was kinda cute.

I made this for a female friend of mine who is a Joplin fanatic a few years ago. Its a lithophane made out of corian, without light [1st pic] it looks like a mistake ,,, Throw some light behind it and the picture pops right out, pretty cool.
I ended up making a nice LED light box for it with a remote control and gave it to my friend.

You are lucky ECS to have seen her and others, did you see Jimi ?

Attachments

• janis2.jpg
    janis2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 36
  • janis.jpg
    janis.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dammit Jeff now I got that song stuck in my head, I was mumbling it in my garage till I stopped and thought, WTF are you trying to sing ?
Then it hit me, Ball and Chain. I doubt if I know 1 word in the song besides the refrain but I sure know the melody - And that to me is the mark of a great song.

I've always liked Janis, I play guitar and Booby McGee is one of my fav songs to do on the acoustic. [Fun Fact: Joplin is 1 of only 2 artist that had a #1 single that was released after their death - Otis Redding was the other]. She died literally like a week before it was released, I think it would have been huge anyhow but no doubt her death added to its popularity, same with Otis.
Most guys think she was an ugly skank, I think she was kinda cute.

I made this for a female friend of mine who is a Joplin fanatic a few years ago. Its a lithophane made out of corian, without light [1st pic] it looks like a mistake ,,, Throw some light behind it and the picture pops right out, pretty cool.
I ended up making a nice LED light box for it with a remote control and gave it to my friend.

in this early Interview she was an Absolute Beauty in My eyes

In what I believe is her Last Interview with Cavett she is a Little Bit Skanky,

But I think allot depended on the day. she looked better with less decoration imo.
I'm no fan of Peacocks either . Except plucked and on my dinner Plate of course.

I loved her attitude .

as for her singing, I was never a Big Fan.
She has a Couple Blues songs I like though.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interviews are cool, 2nd one I have seen.

I like this one where she invites a crowd on stage to boogie with her

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember those types of Concerts.
Rock stars used to be cool :laughing7: Before they got Paranoid.

Though Actually I think it was the whole Rent-A-Cop strategy.
Convince the stars their Life was in danger from their fans, To keep the Paychecks coming

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Didn't get to see Jimi, had tickets to the Jacksonville MONKEES show that he was the support opener, but my "56 yellow Olds 88 decided to break down that day. Still have the tickets.
Saw the BEATLES on their 1964 Tour in Jacksonville at the GATORBOWL.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Convince the stars their Life was in danger from their fans, To keep the Paychecks coming
The cops were very nasty to those who had long hair during the '60's. Been hassled by many during those days.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw Janis and BB&HC in the Golden Gate Park panhandle during the summer of '67, at a funeral celebration for a biker named Chocolate George. She was totally unknown to me then. She and the band performed horribly - I mean, really, really bad. They were all falling down, s___t-faced drunk. Later, I was surprised when she and the band became successful. I liked her personality and intelligence, but never enjoyed her singing style.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't get to see Jimi, had tickets to the Jacksonville MONKEES show that he was the support opener, but my "56 yellow Olds 88 decided to break down that day. Still have the tickets.
Saw the BEATLES on their 1964 Tour in Jacksonville at the GATORBOWL.

Ha ha. I worked the summer of '64 at Camp Richardson on the south shore of Lake Tahoe with lots of other young people, including some awesome females. My buddy's dad managed the Cow Palace in San Francisco and we had a tough choice to make: hitch hike to the city for free tickets to the Beatles concert (and hang out with the F4 in the dressing room) ... or stay at the lake that weekend for the biggest party of the summer. We chose the party. Thankfully, it was a great party.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I once had Peter Wolf on my back when I was a kid.
We were front row at J Geils at Coco Hall who were huge in Detroit back in the day, my stoned girlfriend jumped on the stage and I saw some stage hands going for her so I jumped on the stage too to take a beating for my babe.
Wolf waved them off, they were doing Detroit Breakdown at the time and the crowd was in a frenzy - So he puts his arms around me and my girl while singing, and suddenly jumped on my back piggyback style - I was only 17 or so but worked out alot, and the guy was always super skinny ... So I just started lugging him around back and forth while he sang, crowd loved it and it was fun, made me feel like a rock star for a minute.

So after that we just climbed back down and enjoyed the rest of the show.

Imagine trying that with Justine Beiber, his goons would have beat us both bloody and he would have run back stage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread