Ball mold and ball...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found the ball last summer. The mold was found this past Sunday about 100 feet away from the ball. Dug in Ohio. Two military expeditions came through this area. One in 1764 (Bouquet's expedition) and one in 1778 (McIntosh's). The area I hunt is wooded and on public hunting land. I acquired a map of Bouquet's expedition which has their trail imposed over a modern topo map. These finds were on that "trail". The ball measures .052". Does anyone think these could have come from one of those expeditions? I have also included a photo of some ball molds from a Revolutionary War collectors book.

Thanks for looking.
-Swartzie

Attachments

• ball mold update.jpg
    ball mold update.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 764
  • ball molds from book.jpg
    ball molds from book.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 577
  • ball mold update.jpg
    ball mold update.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 460
  • ball molds from book.jpg
    ball molds from book.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 386
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say... But looking at the ball, it looks like the camera flash reflected off it. In my area, old (CW era) bullets come out of the ground with a chalky white patina. They almost look like stone - not shiny at all. Also I think 52 is still a commonly used muzzleloader caliber. I suspect your bullet is modern.

I can't speak to the mold.

DCMatt

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
Hi... I've been studying musket balls for several years and find they can turn white, brown, green, gray, yellowish... many different colors. It all depends on the soil. If they're in water they seem to oxide less and stay grayer. They won't be silver-shiny unless they're brand new, and this one doesn't look new at all.

Gotta disagree with DC and say it looks consistent with very old ones I've seen and found. The mold looks good too. I think you have a good piece there.

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MarkDz said:
Hi... I've been studying musket balls for several years and find they can turn white, brown, green, gray, yellowish... many different colors. It all depends on the soil. If they're in water they seem to oxide less and stay grayer. They won't be silver-shiny unless they're brand new, and this one doesn't look new at all.

Gotta disagree with DC and say it looks consistent with very old ones I've seen and found. The mold looks good too. I think you have a good piece there.

Hey, that sounds good to me. I did find another ball in the same area. Same caliber. The two balls and the mold were like fifty feet from each other in a somewhat straight line. Definitely makes me want to keep working the woods. It would be awesome if these were from the 1764 expedition. The journal from that expedition did say they carried small fusils and only a few of the larger rifles. But, I'm thinking more like .69 caliber and not a wee little .52. But, hey, who knows. Still a very cool find for an amateur like myself. Hopefully I can find something that can be dated with accuracy. Thanks for the replies fellas.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread