Banded slate study pieces.

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_6437.JPG

Recent gifted frame, one I'll always cherish. From a close friend to help aid in surface comparisons and use for informative educational posts in my group. Salvaged, broken, reworked, banners, pendants, gorgets, effigies etc. All banded slate and I believe all from Ohio. IMG_6435.JPG IMG_6436.JPG

Upvote 0

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, so tell us something about your group and how you relate to the group, are you a leader/ Teacher? Would you like some Fire Obsidian from the Oregon High Desert? It is kinda rare and there are many colorations/striations.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some major HEARTBREAKERS!!!!!! Kick butt frame...

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like my banner stone and gorget finds, although mine are not that nice, anyone should be proud to have and show those.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can you tell us about the relic with the three large wholes drilled in it, very strange drilling to say the least?

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I know purchasing artifacts isn't purpose of what you mean by educational, but if you want to buy slate artifacts, buy a grouping like that first and study, study, study them under magnification. There is a PhD authentic in slate right there.

There is so much to learn from handling broken examples like those, not limited to:

The details of workmanship
The drilling
The polish
The edge grinding
How holes are drilled from both sides on one type of gorget are drilled from one side on another style
Little areas of hafting polish on one side of the hole on some types of gorgets.
The type of drilling on broken butterfly banners
The cross section on different types of gorgets (some are flatter than others, some are domed, some have a trapezoid shape, etc.)
Different kinds of patina on different types of slate & shale.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really great frame. I like the collage of all the drillings. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All those Tapered Holes, Now I can Built a Fire easily with a Bow drill method, were those slates used to build fires? I never tried to use stone in place of balsam Poplar (Cottonwood).

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the slate stuff! It shows up from time to time at my archaic site here in Maine...I have a few points a gouge and pieces of broken bayonets.. the workmanship is amazing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread