May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are desperate to search anyway, so we had decided to try a wood next to one of our Roman sites, based on a number of factors :wink:. Land-magnet did a few scouting missions & proved it was worth doing when he came up with 5 Roman Bronzes in less than 30 minutes.

I hardly ever do woods as I get terrible results & tons of cartridges. However, this site we knew was worth the cartridge digging. We are not sure whats going on at the moment as the Romans are generally only 2 inches deep. We know they dug out a nearby ditch which had lots of material in it (pottery etc..), so some has come from there, definitely the Brooch as its in amazing condition.

This is the largest Roman Disc Brooch (2-3rd Century) I have ever seen. Missing glass insert.
13 Roman Bronzes - A couple of Album reverse types never found before :)
Roman Silver Ring Fragment which will be declared treasure shortly. Missing intaglio.

The icing on the cake was the Celtic Bronze Unit which we didn't realised until we got home. Dad was GPSing the finds (not detecting) :icon_thumright: & I was detecting for only 3 hours.

We haven't had a Celtic bronze since 2007, so 2 clear years without any;

Cunobelin Circa AD15
Obv: Winged head left, CVNO in front, BELIN behind
Rev: Metal worker seated right, hammering vase, TASCIO behind.

See a better version:
http://www.coins2.ru/imgsearch/2097...nit-16-mm-2-33-gr-Metal-Worker-Type-RARE.html

285 recorded so not a scarce coin in Celtic terms but a very rare one for us, its our first of this type, & in pretty good condition compared to our others.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 853
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 854
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 845
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 853
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 839
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 838
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hammered said:
Nice finds Cru :icon_thumleft:. How dense are the woods.

hammered

Not too dense, but lots of ducking & plenty of logs & branches to move as we grid it. Difficult to dig with the roots as well but a welcome change to any other wood's I've done. I've never had older than WWI before, from the woods.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
I suppose they weren't woods back in the day. I know it can be a pain getting past the cartridges (although I personally don't mind them) but I always consider the possibility there was clear areas at one point and that the hunters of any era could drop things for me to find. Besides, you may have a chance to get something the nighthawkers miss because they aren't in the woods at night.

Your collection is nice. I like the brooch over the ring. And any coin older than me is great!

Yes your right the wood was not there in the Roman period, probably no more than 200 years old. So half the site is in the wood the other half in the field.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
As usual you pulled out some cool stuff. Kind of funny in that as far as civil war relic hunting it's the opposite with the woods and fields here. The old diggers would only dig the woods because the relics that were dug in the fields were usually in bad shape. One guy I know who stated digging in the 50's never dug a field until about 1982 or 3 when His brother and I got into a camp and pulled out 10 plates the same day. There are still some guys here who don't like to hunt fields.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Nice finds there. I guess the woods are proving to be a good option for hunting when the fields are not free. You guys did well. I love seeing your old finds.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic post as usual. I always enjoy looking at all your finds. While hunting in the woods, do you ever encounter poison ivy?

I always wear gloves while detecting in the woods, not only for keeping the poison ivy oil off of my skin, but for keeping me from getting cut on broken glass and some iron.

Again, Great Post, Thanks for sharing. By the way, I really like the Ring!!!

HH< Ringfinder

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringfinder said:
Fantastic post as usual. I always enjoy looking at all your finds. While hunting in the woods, do you ever encounter poison ivy?

I always wear gloves while detecting in the woods, not only for keeping the poison ivy oil off of my skin, but for keeping me from getting cut on broken glass and some iron.

Again, Great Post, Thanks for sharing. By the way, I really like the Ring!!!

HH< Ringfinder

No Poison Ivy in this country ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread