bank charging for rolled coin

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
i went into a hells cargo branch today and requested $6/cents, $14/nickels, & $40/dimes. the teller asked if i had a business account. i do.

she does some calculations and says it would cost $4.05 for these 27 rolls (15¢/roll). i decline, saying that i can get these from other branches at no cost. she says that the policy is company wide and mentions that they are charged a fee for turning in rolled coin to their processor. i pointed out that 22 of the rolls were customer wrapped and that if i got them they wouldn't be charged for them since they never left the building! at this point the hovering overboss joins the conversation stating that the policy had changed in february. i thanked them for their time and left.

i've been to at least 30 branches and this is only the second time that i have had this fee presented to me. in fact, i have gotten at least 20 brinks boxes of coins from this particular branch over the past five months but now i guess the game has changed. the next time i go in i am going to ask if there is a fee for submitting a coin-lok deposit..hopin' for a 'no' answer!

any experiences like this? suggestions? i don't want to engage in any 'ruining it for everybody' behavior!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just switch to a bank that doesn't charge. Close your account and move on.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an account with WF and some have done that to me and then another branch loves it when i come in to pick up boxes. I would recommend hanging on to them. I have about 10 accounts with different banks and it's always helpful, and makes for more picking and dumping options since all of them in my area have coin counting machines. Also a WF employee told me recently no to close my free checking account as WF was getting rid of free checking accounts. Better to have a bunch of free accounts when the banking system starts consolidating in 2011, so u can be grandfathered in. Free checking accounts in my opinion will start to dry up if not already.

Best of luck!

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I believe a coin-lok deposit is where you carry into the bank a bag of coins and they in turn send the bag off to their main vault bank to be counted and then credited to your account. This is for those branches which do not have an in-house coin counter.WF (Wachovia still here in Florida) has this service but it is my understanding they will only do it for commercial customers. I inquired a couple of weeks ago and they told me they couldn't do for me without a fee. I didn't even ask what the fee was. I only dump halves there so I will continue to re-roll them. WF supplies the coin wrappers so I have no cost except for my time. HH

FL Junkman

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
I have an old hagabag kook teller who tries to charge me.I would not bother with them except I do score there when she is gone.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Better to have a bunch of free accounts when the banking system starts consolidating in 2011, so u can be grandfathered in. Free checking accounts in my opinion will start to dry up if not already.

Well none of my accounts that were changed on me were grandfathered in. I have over a dozen accounts and they are constantly being changed on me. In fact today i overturned two new fees [just this once]. A minimum average daily balance and [believe it or not] a regular statement in the mail fee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread