Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
The Rockland Federal Credit Union told me when I opened a free account there today that it is illegal to give out CWR and in fact it is illegal for customers to bring them in since 9/11.
I have never heard that anywhere else. BUT they had two coin counting machines, a normal one and an industrial strength one that are free to depositors and no limit on how much at a time so they are my new dump bank.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you encountered a prickly teller.

NEXT PLEASE!!

The Rockland Federal Credit Union told me when I opened a free account there today that it is illegal to give out CWR and in fact it is illegal for customers to bring them in since 9/11.

Go to another location of that bank and see what they say. You have some teller that just makes up rules as he/she goes.
Or, go back and ask to that in writing. You don't have anything to lose they already will not cooperate with you.

That my be the most astronomically ridiculous excuse I have ever heard come out of a tellers mouth. If this is that credit unions policy I’m not sure how they could possibly be in business still. This is a perfect example of how functionally ******ed the United States is becoming. 9/11- passenger air craft taken over by terrorist and flown into building killing thousands. United States answer no more CWR from banks and ban bottle rockets.

So many variables in this game. Teller mood, education level, personality, hours worked that day, total years worked, etc...your physical appearance, your words and tone...the level of difficulty of your request, the time and day you make the request, your history of requests with that teller/branch/bank. Oh, and then rules - perceived or actual, bent or broken or obeyed.

that teller is a :censored: probably a coin collector too i do 2 different banks one i know some are coin collectors and the second bank i went in there and they tried to give me cash for the rolls i had to explain what i wanted just depends on the bank i guess

Sounds like you got a teller that failed the DMV employment test if that's possible.

I'm sorry, I just got on this planet. What is CWR?

The good thing about that bank is that they have two coin counters and no limit on how much to dump at once.

Another bank nearby another credit union, one branch will give out CWR's the other won't. I am checking out the 15-20 banks within about 10 miles and seeing which will or will not give CWR's

It may be against that particular bank's policy, but of course it isn't illegal.

About half the banks in this area won't give out CWR. I got a $250 box of dimes today, halfway through with 1 '64 unc and a 1941 Mercury in nice shape so far

My Credit Union charges a handling fee if you bring in more than $20.00 of rolled coins at a time, so I have an account at another bank that will take my rolled coins.

Thanks for enlightening me on CWR's.

I have found one bank that stopped giving them out. I think it is about businesses complaining about the quality. I use to get them at that bank before they stopped. I got several penny rolls that were so thick with green corrosion they looked like mint candy wafers. No way there were 50 pennies in the rolls.

I often get washers in dimes and quarters and just got an English large cent in some halves. People complain and that is why some won't give them out. Treasures the ones that do

Many banks with coin counters won't take rolls

I have some banks here that will and some won't. One bank recently changed their policy. Before it was absolutely not, and now it's sure how many do you want?

There is absolutely no government regulation of that. I'd love to hear some of their answers to other questions, too.

The teller is 100% wrong. HOWEVER, don't say a thing. Just smile and thank them for the information, and proceed to dump, dump, dump. That industrial strength coin counter is an incredible blessing. Take advantage of it while you can!

She said there are people who bring in a $1000 routinely, oh and I got a free crockpot for opening a free account with a $5 deposit! It is the perfect dumpbank, and across the street is a Citizens Bank that will give out CWR's and more.

Now I don't have to worry about taking 5 days to get rid of two boxes of halves!

That's what I'm saying, you don't realize how much of a blessing it is till its gone. Use it while you can, and build up those relationships at the dump bank.

I had that at TD Bank, but then they took all the counters out, however I still keep up relationships with the tellers, also they are friendly anyway.

I had asked them to save halves for me, but I think I am going to see if I can get them to save all CWR's for me and I would pick them up twice a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back