blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, the backstory ...

Before my acquisition bank stopped getting me half dollar boxes, I used to dump my halves at a different bank.

The dump bank has two coin machines -- a beast which takes halves and sits in the safe deposit box room (away from the public because it breaks down frequently, but it is really fast) and a smaller machine in the lobby. The lobby machine does not take halves or small dollar coins. Unlike other bank coin machines that spin the coins around, this one has a conveyor belt and the coins slowly move from left to right as they are counted.

My brother had a bunch of coins that he wanted to cash in, but he didn't want to pay any service fee, so I said I'd do it for him.

Everything was going fine until the machine stopped with a 'see attendant' message, so I alerted a teller and she opened up the machine.

The problem was that the internal reject chute was full, so she started to empty it. I'm not sure why this particular machine did not reject these coins in the front reject tray, but I asked the teller what she typically does with these coins and she kind of shrugged her shoulders, so I asked her if I could have them. She agreed.

Not too shabby ... the bronze colored coins are French francs from the 1920s -- not sure what the small hole is all about.

Attachments

• coins 03-31-2023.jpg
    coins 03-31-2023.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 64

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This is a guess, concerning the small hole. I know that many US WWII military personnel kept foreign coins on a chain, string, etc around their necks. They were a cheap souvenir and reminder of where they had been. The date and denomination wasn’t important. They would drill a hole and wear them home: not always alive. Nuf sed

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, the backstory ...

Before my acquisition bank stopped getting me half dollar boxes, I used to dump my halves at a different bank.

The dump bank has two coin machines -- a beast which takes halves and sits in the safe deposit box room (away from the public because it breaks down frequently, but it is really fast) and a smaller machine in the lobby. The lobby machine does not take halves or small dollar coins. Unlike other bank coin machines that spin the coins around, this one has a conveyor belt and the coins slowly move from left to right as they are counted.

My brother had a bunch of coins that he wanted to cash in, but he didn't want to pay any service fee, so I said I'd do it for him.

Everything was going fine until the machine stopped with a 'see attendant' message, so I alerted a teller and she opened up the machine.

The problem was that the internal reject chute was full, so she started to empty it. I'm not sure why this particular machine did not reject these coins in the front reject tray, but I asked the teller what she typically does with these coins and she kind of shrugged her shoulders, so I asked her if I could have them. She agreed.

Not too shabby ... the bronze colored coins are French francs from the 1920s -- not sure what the small hole is all about.
Absolutely cool! What is the Rutherford B Hayes coin? Love the 1920's coins too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread